1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant 3rd Trimester + COVID

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Rpearce1, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Rpearce1

Rpearce1 New commenter

Hi all,
    Any other pregnant Secondary teachers out there? I’m 3rd trimester and although my school are doing all they can to minimise my contact with students (including a rly good risk assessment) I can’t help but feel that we pregnant teachers (and those that were previously shielding for medical reasons) should not be in work- yet nothing is being done about this. It doesn’t seem to even be on the government agenda... It feels very unjust that following recent announcements all other sectors are being told ‘wfh if you can’ but those of us who are vulnerable working in education have just been forgotten. After exhausting all avenues (Union, doctors, midwives and full risk assessment through work) I’ve come to the conclusion that if I want to protect myself and my baby I have to get signed off with stress. That seems like the bottom line. Can’t help but feel this is ridiculous and an unfair decision for me to have to make!

2. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Stop havering and sign yourself off with stress - any responsible GP will support this - until it is time to start your maternity leave. Never mind the school, your baby comes first.

agathamorse and coffeekid like this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

God yeah. What s/he said. Your GP will happily do it - for reasons of my own I had to do this in my 3rd trimester. Worked myself up into a right state about asking and he did it without even breaking the flow of his conversation. Do it.

agathamorse and bombaysapphire like this.
  4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Any pregnant woman was classed as "vulnerable" where my daughter works, and told to work from home.
    That was in April!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Completely agree with getting signed off.