1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy to avoid redundancy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by beevoring, Jul 10, 2019.

1. beevoring

beevoring New commenter

There are going to be a number of redundancies at the end of the Spring term at my school. There are a couple of teachers who have said that they are going to get pregnant so that they are safe from redundancy. I am aghast at this. Would they actually be immune from the redundancy process if they were pregnant or on mat leave? This seems discriminatory against those of us who are already in the middle of bringing up families.
    Anyone shed any light on this

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

They are absolutely free to get pregnant or attempt to get pregnant any time they like, for whatever reason they like, no business of anybody else.

agathamorse and catbefriender like this.
  3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Dunnocks is right, however I would not make it common knowledge of your ‘game plan’.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

No the breeders are not immune unless it could be shown that pregnancy directly affected the selection process for redundancy. Even though a better quality of HR is usually found to run the redundancy process they are still bleeding useless so they may prefer to avoid the pregnant ones for an easier life.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ha ha. They could get a nasty shock. You can't be selected for redundancy BECAUSE you are pregnant but you can most certainly end up redundant DESPITE being pregnant.

If your skill set makes you least suited for the remaining roles in the organisation then you're out. Pregnant or not.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

True but I think OP is asking how redundancy law works, not questioning anyone's right to get pregnant.

It is not true that someone on maternity leave cannot be made redundant and so your colleagues would not be immune from the redundancy process. However there is some priority to women on ML as explained in last sentence of this ACAS guidance:

Redundancy

If a redundancy situation arises, the employee on maternity leave must be offered a suitable alternative vacancy if one is available. If there is no suitable alternative work, the employee can be made redundant.

However, it is essential that:

• the pregnancy or maternity is not a reason for redundancy
    • the redundancy is genuine
    • redundancy procedures have been followed fairly
    • redeployment has been considered.
    If a redundancy situation arises an employee on maternity leave must be consulted along with all other staff. An employer must ensure that the person is not put at a disadvantage for being pregnant or on maternity leave.

If an employee on maternity leave is selected for redundancy, the employer should then consider whether it has any suitable alternative vacancies and, if it does, these should be offered to the person on maternity leave before any other employee.
    I think in a school there may well be 'alternative vacancies' a teacher on ML could be redeployed to and the woman on ML would have priority for it. As JJC says, HR will, in my experience, recommend women on ML aren't selected for redundancy if options exist to avoid the risk of a pregnancy/maternity discrimination claim

Google 'redundancy and maternity leave' and you'll find lots more sites explaining what this means in more detail.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm impressed that they can be so certain.
    And appalled that trying to avoid redundancy could be a reason to bring a child in to the world.

Maybe show your colleagues this ACAS guide:
    Managing redundancy for pregnant employees or those on maternity leave

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

What a shoddy reason for bringing a child into this world!

Laphroig, bevdex, agathamorse and 9 others like this.
  9. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

At nearly 9 months pregnant, why on Earth anybody would put themselves through pregnancy on the off-chance they might keep their job is beyond me.

Still, not a lot you can do about it so you may as well just ignore it.

10. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

I’m shocked that even if they’re thinking it, they’ve said it.

11. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

However if they could prove that someone as equally useless and preferably male, was kept on, they would be in for a chance with a gender discrimination suite. However with the subjectivity of today's assessment of teaching skills, anybody, no matter how useless or awesome could be deemed outstanding or required improvements.

Let's just hope any beautiful baby brought into this world as a result of this scenario is loved and taken care of.

12. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Congrats. :)

agathamorse and Piscean1 like this.
  13. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Well, if they want to do it, they'll do it.

Although can I respectfully point out that there are teachers who do not have families and also go through redundancy. And sometimes get borderline offensive comments of "Well at least you don't have dependents." Eff off. Not all teachers are parents, but it's still useful to have an income to pay the bills...

14. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I'm surprised so many are responding seriously! Sounds like low grade trolling to me.

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  16. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

If I had been female I would have had about 10 kids to avoid the hassles in teaching nowadays. Lol.

17. Rott Weiler

It's a Private Members Bill introduced under the 10 Minute Rule and according to press reports does not have the support of government. Although it isn't dead in the water yet there seems little chance that it will make the statute book any time soon.

Piranha and JohnJCazorla like this.
  18. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Thanks, @Rott Weiler. I remember seeing it reported as something that was actually going to happen.

19. Rott Weiler

Yes indeed, the first article you linked, from an HR website, starts "Parliament is today expected to pass a bill..." but I'm afraid that just shows the ignorance of writers of HR articles about parliamentary procedure! As the your second link from the parliamentary website shows, it was just the first reading. The first reading of Bill is just a formality, the Bill is authorised to be printed, that's all, it's not debated. It's at the second reading when the debate starts and that's when most Private Members Bills fail. If the government doesn't support it a government Whip says 'Object' and that's the end of it.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Do they need any help getting pregnant;):cool::D:eek: