1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pregnancy tests and dodgy lines.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by AndersonK, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Hi

I'd be really grateful if someone could tell me about their experiences with clear blue pregnancy tests.
    I'm 4 days prior to my period. I suspected I might be pregnant so I took a test 2 days ago and it came out negative. I took another yesterday to be sure and it came up with a faint negative line. The test i just took today was still negative but, the line is now extremely faint and slightly blurred.......I know I should wait and test later as it's still so early but now i'm wondering whether this means i'm actually pregnant but with very little hormone to detect?
    Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the outcome?
    Thank you in advance for your help!

2. I had a nightmare with pregnancy tests, negative, negative and negative - got to the stage where I stopped testing. Retested at 7 weeks using a clear blue digital and was pregnant.
    Test in the morning, if you are just late your hormone levels are higher then.
    Not sure if this has helped at all? hmmm

3. Hi there,
    If you are getting a second line on the test, regardless if it's lighter than the control line, you're probably pregnant. I think it's supposed to be very rare that you get a false positive. Good luck, I hope you get the result you want. x

4. I agree with the above, a false positive is very rare unless you are taking hormone drugs for fertility treatment. A faint line means positive even if it is very faint. If you have a local independent chemist it might be worth trying their pregnancy tests. They are equally as reliable, lots cheaper (last time for me it was 99p each or 2 for £1.20!) and clearer to read. The Clearblue digital are really expensive and are only accurate up to 5 weeks anyway.
    Hope everything works out for you x

5. Any more news AndersonK?
    Good luck!

6. What on EARTH is a faint negative? Either tests are negative or there may be a faint positive. That is ALL you can have.

Don't mean to sound funny, but that's the only way I could word that. x

7. The faint negative... a result showing negative but the line was extremely faint. The next one was also extremely faint but had half of a positive line attached. It is quite hard to explain. That is why I started to ask for other people's opinion, because I couldn't interpret the results as one or the other. As it stands it now seems to read faint positive. A cross but only very faintly. Sorry if it's not clear!

8. It appears that you are indeed pregnant! I do believe there's no such thing as a false positive. If in doubt, buy a CB digi test that tells you in WORDS - you can't misinterpret that! Good luck x

9. Thank you for your reply!! I do think it's incredible that it's taken about 6 tests and i'm still not convinced by any of the results! I think a trip to the doctor may save me some money.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply. Helps to have other people's perspective!

10. I started a thread a few pages back about BFN followed by BFP. Apparently it's quite common! Some people who replied had done up to 8 tests - all negative - before getting a BFP! It just goes to show that not all tests are as sensitive as they make out. Also, it may be that the hormone in your urine isn't as concentrated and therefore take longer to be picked up by a HPT.

11. That's very true! It;s just all a bit frustrating. I MC'd first time round and the tests all said the same thing so I'm just hoping it isn't a similar thing this time.

12. So, do you mean the control line was faint? If you had a normal control line and a second line appeared, but was faint, then that is positive. It is NOT negative if there are two lines, no matter how faint the testing line is. You can't get a faint negative! NO such thing.

13. Blimey, I HAD to use a digital test, those things with faint lines here and there would have driven me potty! By the time you've spent out on ten of those you might as well buy one CB digital which will say 'pregnant' or 'not pregnant'. Good luck!

14. I would buy a digital one if I were you, I did and my positive lines were a lot clearer than yours: I just was full of self doubt!

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

15. hello. How weird! I had a faint line too and was baffled cos not heard of this before. I got a digital (same advice as others)! So good being able to see it in black and white! no blue faint lines!

Rebeccajo