1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy news but worries about rising stress.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by alicewonders, Jan 13, 2019.

1. alicewonders

alicewonders New commenter

We’ve had fantastic news that I am pregnant. Not planned but very much wanted as we thought I could not have children.

However , as people who have read my posts before will know , the stress at work is rising constantly. We have now found out that we will be having additional literacy and maths observations each term aswell as all book trawls , walk ins , planning trawls , peer reviews etc.
    My headteacher has told me that she has referred me to OH as I asked her to but that was before Christmas and I haven’t heard anything yet.

Has anyone had any experience of this while pregnant or any advice ?

Your advice is also greatly appreciated.

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

I’m off with HG (severe morning sickness) and have an OH app tomorrow. I’ve been off since November and every attempt to work I’ve been so ill at school. I’m due in June and it’s been tough. You should hear very soon from OH. They normally contact you immediately. Maybe follow it up?xx

Lara mfl 05 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't wait! You need OH. They had better get on with it. That's their job!

Get them to pull their finger out.

I did wonder about HG @skellig1182 when you described your endless nausea/vomiting. You can't work with THAT!

Not that @alicewonders is going to suffer from it. Not at all. And yours is going to stop very soon!!!

4. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

@alicewonders What wonderful news for you! Congratulations!

Please contact your Head and ask if she has an idea when you should be hearing from OH; don't leave it! If you are anything like me, I don't like to rock the boat, so tend to put up with things. But in your condition, you MUST make sure that you are being heard, and not forgotten or ignored. All the best of luck.

5. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Do everything you can to protect you and baby. Not easy to protect yourself from stress in this job but you must. I sadly had 2 miscarriages but happily one gorgeous baby in between. I will never know the cause of those miscarriages but have always wondered if job stress played a part. You need to enjoy your pregnancy (morning sickness aside) and look forward to your new arrival. Best wishes and take care.

6. skellig1182

I really hope she doesn’t! I vomited in the reception classroom sink and on the floor and in the hallway on the way to the toilet at work. :(

It wasn’t nice and children saw which makes it even worse. I’m on some medication now that just makes you sleep and it’s easing off a bit! Although not sure how I could work being so drowsy!

It’s been so bad I think I might just stick with having this one baby. We wanted to have two but it’s really been awful and I’ve been in hospital a few times on the drip to rehydrate. Not sure I can do this again! Might change my mind though once little one is here and it’s all forgotten about :Dxxx

7. skellig1182

This is very good advice! I heard from OH the same week my head referred me with an appointment a week later. You don’t know how your pregnancy will be as each one is different. However the sooner you get the ball rolling and get any extra support you can the better. And remember that pregnancy illness is not the same as normal sickness absence. If you are unwell due to pregnancy related issues then you should be protected and not experience any absence meetings. It should also not be recorded as sickness absence in the same way. It’s kind of hidden if that makes sense.

I wish you all the best in your pregnancy and hope you have a good support from your work place. You can’t get away from the stress unfortunately but you can put yourself first. If you need to leave early or can’t do a meeting just say. Don’t run around like you normally do and just take it easy. It really is the one time you get to say NO! Lol. xxx

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

One of my daughters-in-law suffered really badly with HG, yet just about to produce number 2 and thankfully hasn't suffered with anything more than ordinary first trimester sickness this time.:)

agathamorse and mothergoose2013 like this.
  9. skellig1182

Yeah that would make a lot of sense because I know a few women who had no sickness the first two pregnancies and then got HG in the third. I’ll have a little break first;) .xxxx

10. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Your HT needs to carry out a risk assessment for every pregnant member of staff.
    You have waited so long for this baby don't jepodise it because of being 'nice'. Chase it actively.

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You can usually expect OH to get back within 5 working days in my experiences.

In other posts you say you're also a student. It may be worth contacting your student support services there for extra impartial advice

agathamorse likes this.
  12. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you tell your head they will have to carry out a risk assessment. This should provide you with some protection in addition to the OH referral.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Congratulations! I'm also pregnant and have similar thoughts to you about the excessive scrutiny at work.

However, baby must come first. I haven't had my risk assessment done yet but when I do, I will be bringing up stress as an issue and how we can reduce the causes. Remember: They ARE allowed to treat you differently when pregnant so don't let them say otherwise. I don't know what they will do to lessen it but there will need to be something.

I struggle with anxiety so I also have the full support of my doctor. If needs be, I will get signed off. Make sure you also discuss your concerns with your midwife - she should be able to make practical suggestions.

14. alicewonders

alicewonders New commenter

Thank you piscean1. This post really spoke to me. It feel better knowing that there are people in the same boat , even though I’d wish it on no one. I’m off for the next two days on hospital guidance that I need to rest since overdoing it last week.
    Does anyone know if risk assessments are statutory as I don’t think my head is doing one? Still no word from occupational health. Thanks so much.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

So far mine hasn't happened. I suspect I'll have to ask for it. I will be raising it with my midwife tomorrow. Check your schools maternity policy. They should have one. I'm not sure if they have to legally do an individual risk assessment for you but they do legally have to have one for pregnant women. Ask to see it. That might prompt them. The maternity action website has some really good advice and information.

Personally, I've made the decision that I will try to see this week through if at all possible but I've recognised that I will need to be signed off at some point because this level of pressure is quickly becoming unsustainable for me. I'm awaiting feedback from a few scrutinies this week. If it's unreasonable, I will go off sick rather than stress myself out about having not managed to highlight bits of planning in the correct colour or marked work within 3 minutes of the lesson occurring.

Please look after yourself because you will never regret not giving your all to your job so that you could give it to your baby instead! I'm glad you are off - make sure you rest. And... As much as everybody tells you to enjoy this time and feel happy - if you are feeling down or depressed even, that's okay too! It's very normal to feel a bit rubbish and you shouldn't feel pressured to feel 'blooming' or 'glowing' because that's just not the reality for everyone. Let your midwife know if this is the case because you should be supported.

Take care. xx

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.