1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy discrimination??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Sonia23, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Sonia23

Sonia23 New commenter

Hi there
    Just looking for some advice and wise words about my situation.

I'm currently in my final trimester. Unfortunately I have had a challenging pregnancy where I have been off work with pregnancy related issues. Oct- Jan (Hyperemesis). From Jan - April I have been in and out if school. I've got SPD and have had bleeding. When I have been off I have always provided a sick note.

In January I was called into an absence trigger meeting- I have just realised that they have added my days off to my pregnancy to my absence record- I thought pregnancy related absence has to be noted separately?
    My head also said that my absence will be monitored against the absence policy- I have e-mailed HR for a copy of the absence policy relating to pregnancy (If there is one)

I spoke to HR this morning and they told me that I have an absence meeting next Wednesday due to me being absent over the last term. I suppose what I want to know is my head teacher allowed to have absence trigger meetings with me when I have been off with pregnancy related issues?

My husband thinks they will want to meet with me about bringing my mat leave forward...

I would appreciate any thoughts

Thank you

2. sunshineonarainyday

sunshineonarainyday New commenter

Hi,

I really hope you're okay. Pregnancy and work are tough enough, without feeling as terrible as you have during your pregnancy and then having to deal with the problems you have shared.

I'm afraid I don't feel qualified to give advice here, but it might be a good idea to re-post this in the Workplace Dilemmas forum as there are some posters there who know quite a lot about this kind of thing.

Have you contacted your union?

I hope you're doing okay. Look after yourself and your baby, you both matter more than anything else.

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I'm pretty sure it must be recorded separately-but I've been out of schools for a while-please will one of the experts advise her?
    I know that at my husband's company (not teaching), they record all sickness note absence separately, so people genuinely ill with a long term-condition are judged in the same way as Lazy who takes every Monday off.
    Stress in pregnancy is not good, and it seems like you're being affected.
    This makes me so angry. Wish I could help you.

4. Sonia23

Sonia23 New commenter

Thank you for your responses. I will get in touch with my union today and I will repost again in workplace dilemmas.

Thanks again for your kind words

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations on the happy event coming soon. How lovely for you!

Not yet! This only applies in the last four weeks before the expected date. N.B. Your maternity leave and pay will start on the day after the first day of absence from work for pregnancy-related illness in the last 4 weeks - so you get one day's grace.

@Piranha has given an excellent link. I suggest that you contact HR again with that link, and ask for the meeting to be cancelled. You may wish to include some wording such as:

I feel that the manner in which the school is treating this pregnancy-related absence, by including it in Absence Management procedures, is not only direct discrimination but also liable to cause a decline in my health from the stress caused directly by this action.

I therefore request that this meeting, which is inappropriate since my absence record for non-pregnancy-related absence cannot justify it, is cancelled forthwith.

Look after yourself and that baby! The Duchess of Cambridge didn't have to put up with this, and neither do you!

Best wishes

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016