1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy cravings

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Apr 15, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have just eaten three packets of the most E-number laden gummy-type sweets that I try my hardest to discourage my students eating...with a dipping sauce made from soy and sweet chilli sauce.
    Mid morning, I had bourbon biscuits and custard creams with picallili on top.
    Why are my pregnancy cravings so disgusting?

2. Yuck, yuck, yuck!
    How are you feeling? Probably better after your strange snacks! I was very sick all day, every day for the entire time, when I was pregnant the Miss J's and nothing made it any better. I did send Mr J out for lots of grapes, not that this counts as a weird craving!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

With number one I just craved food! With number two it was salads but had to include raw carrots. I also craved the raw carrots but they had to be cold, from the fridge. Too healthy for a proper craving eh?

4. The only thing 'weird' about mine was suddenly liking milky foods I normally avoid. I think I personally improved the profits of every yogurt and custard manufacturer in the state. And milkshakes!! Never had so many before or since.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I've always liked strong flavours, but through both pregnancies my husband complained that I must have lost my taste buds as suddenly <u>everything </u>had to be stronger!

6. egyptgirl

It gets worse! Last night, on the way home from dinner (I didn't really eat all that much because everything had garlic in...garlic is also making me feel sick at the moment) we stopped off at the fish and chip shop because I really, really wanted some chips. When we got them, I didn't fancy them anymore so I waited until we got home and dipped them in raspberry jam. I was in heaven!

7. I've never been pregnant so no cravings for me to personally talk about. I was on holiday with my ex-bf and his family a couple of years ago,and his sister had just found out she was expecting (6 weeks gone so very very early stages and wasn't confirmed by doctors or anything). We were on holiday in the Lake District and her craving at about 8pm on a Saturday night was for marmite flavoured crisps. We managed to source some on the Monday but then she said it wasnt enough, and she wanted something to dip them into - after trying various things we had in the flat for the holiday, she ended up having marmite crisps with chocolate spread...
    Is it a sweet and savoury mix that you are liking at the mo EG? Can't say i've ever had chips with anything sweet, but I suppose it works on the same principle as having yorkshire pud and jam?
    JSY x

8. egyptgirl

I think it must be. Although some of the food combos that enter my head sound so wrong, but when I eat them they taste fine to me. Mr EG has tasted some of them and winced because he said they were so awful!
    Tends to be quite English flavours that I am craving as well - the thought of any Greek/Egyptian food is making me feel nauseous. I can only assume the egyptchild is going to take after its Dad!

9. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I didnt have any particular cravings when pregnant (twice). The only odd thing was fancying a chicken sandwich from the takeaway when i had recently become vegetarian (before I actually knew I was pregnant)so was a bit of a clue that something was up.

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Mrs909 has had no bizarre cravings at all - in fact no real cravings other than occasional cravings for sugary things like cakes, biscuits and sweets. She's also gone mad for milk. I think she must have needed the energy when she craved sugar, and feels like she needs extra calcium, hence the milk.
    I have an (unproven) thoery that pregnant women tend to crave things containing minerals and nutrients that their body feels it needs, so when women crave bizarre things like eggshells, they perhaps need calcium, which eggshells are high in, or when they crave more normal things such as liver or brocolli, I think it's the iron they are maybe a little low in.
    Yours are all sugar based, EG, so maybe it's that your body needs - an extra boost of energy! It's common, apparently, to go off strong tasting foods, with Indian women frequently going off chilli and strong spices, so it's no surprise you're off Egyptian and Greek food.
    Can't comment on the picalili on the custard creams, though!

11. I went mad for blood oranges- think they're out of season again now but couldn't get enought of them in the last couple of months. Also homemade rice pudding and coffee (decaff!) which normally i detest!

12. egyptgirl

Still can't believe I actually ate them! Thanks for the insight, Nick. Putting it like that does make a lot of sense. I have been needing to sleep a bit more lately. Assumed I was tired from all the wedding planning - never entered my head it could be because I was pregnant!
    Dreading going back to work - its harder getting up in the morning at the moment! With my commute, I have to be at the train station in time!

13. I've not had any weird cravings. Early on I had to have crisps every day. And they had to be Seabrooks (normally I must eat about 3 packets of crisps a year!!) And also Fentimann's Dandelion & Burdock.
    I've been drinking more cow's milk (normally I drink goat's milk) and eating more eggs than usual. But I am now really beginning to crave chocolate and think about it constantly - can't have it cos I've got gestational diabetes [​IMG]

14. I had no real cravings, with either child.
    Apart from ice cream. I had to have it, even at 3 in the morning.
    But it had to be with fruit, no chocolate.
    And with second child, I had this weird experience. I said to my mother, she will only come out when I eat pesto. Mum and Dad came a week before the due date, arrived Friday. I cooked pesto and said to my belly, Grandma and Grandad are here and we are eating pesto.
    She was born 5 hours later!

15. egyptgirl

White chocolate dipped in horseradish, anyone?

16. Crikey, nooooooooooo.
    The tiredness - that is normal. Both times I could have slept for months, at first.
    First time, it was my cat who made it obvious I was pregnant. I was always sleeping and she would never leave my side.
    Second time, I knew, as I was zonking out and my then 5 cats were constantly at my feet or cuddling up and my son was constantly stroking my belly and saying hello (he was only 2 at the time, so had no idea about babies and where they come from), that I was pregnant again.
    Second time I knew though, straight away, that I was pregnant. Hard to explain. But if you have done it once, you notice the second time sooner.
    I am intrigued as to your cravings - I can forsee many months of mirth.

17. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

When my mum was pregnant with me, they were living in upstate New York, out i the sticks. My mother made dad walk to town in a blizzard (they couldn't get the car out such were the weather conditions) to get her some Baskin Robbins ice cream. God love the man, he did.

18. egyptgirl

10pm at night, I am asleep. Every night. Without fail.
    It all seems to be English foods that I am craving - Greek/Egyptian foods make me feel nauseous. I think Mr EG is dreading his leg healing because he thinks I'll have him running around pandering to my food cravings. Little does he know about my extremely well stocked storecupboard [​IMG]

19. henriette

henriette New commenter

With #1 I got terrible leg cramps at all hours of the day and night.
    With #2 someone suggested bananas (I hate them!) to counteract the cramps: I ate a banana every day ([​IMG]) but had to smother it in (home made) vanilla ice-cream and (home-made) chocolate sauce in order to be able to force it down!
    Cheddar and beetroot sandwiches wer far more welcome!!

20. I had the leg cramps too.
    I still have them now [​IMG]