1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy complications query!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by TroubledTeacher1, Aug 25, 2019.

1. TroubledTeacher1

TroubledTeacher1 New commenter

Hi all,

At around the end of my first trimester, I ended up bleeding and went for another scan. The cervix has turned out to be shorter than it should be this pregnancy and there is a possible haematoma (collection of blood) showing up on the scan too.

The gynaecologist in the area (I'm abroad atm) has put me on progesterone (tablets + injections + suppositories) as it looks to be a threatened miscarriage.

Another thing she was absolutely abd completely adamant on, was bed rest. I've now been placed on the strictest of bedrest til the bleeding resolves and the hematoma shrinks.

I'm back at work soon. Not sure what to do?

I'm due off on maternity leave from December. Will work allow me to go off earlier than the recommendation of 11 weeks before you are due?

Or do I now get a sick note to cover me for the next 2 months etc?

As an aside, I'm halfway through a support plan which started before the summer hols. Don't want school to think I'm trying to run away from completing it!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You get a sick note to cover you until the next review of your condition. You contact your school and explain that you're on strict bedrest, won't be back until at least <date>, and you'll contact them before then to update them. You may be able to get a bit more information from the medics, eg how likely it is that you'll be off all term or returning in a couple of weeks. The school would no doubt appreciate having that, as it may influence how they cover your absence.

If you don't make it back, you stay on sick pay until maternity leave starts. If you are still off sick 4 weeks before due date, then you have to move to maternity leave at that point. (11 weeks is not a recommendation, by the way, it's just the earliest you're allowed to go - most people wait until much nearer the due date.) Sick pay, unless you are very early in your career, is likely to be full pay for six months, so no problem there.

I'd keep your union in the loop, too, because of the support plan. If time may run short for completing it when you return, you may need your union's support. Common sense says that you ought to be given a week or so to settle back in if someone else has begun the year with your class. If you don't make it back until much later in the term, and whoever's been covering is also covering your maternity leave, they might decide not to put you back as class teacher (if primary), in which case the support plan would probably have to change.

TroubledTeacher1 likes this.
  3. TroubledTeacher1

Thank you for this detailed response. I will act on this!

I am an RQT. I've been in this school for a year so...I hope I will be entitled to sickness pay.

Many thanks!

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

TroubledTeacher1 likes this.
  5. TroubledTeacher1

Would this still apply if I was off from the very first day of the second year of service??

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It says in the link that it's actually done on the year Apr-Mar, and so if you started in Sept 18 you were in your second year of service from Apr 19.