1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pregnancy and interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jennybenny25, Nov 13, 2011.

1. hey all i need your help :(

i found out before agreeing to an interview that i am pregnant (7 weeks) and the interview is this week and not sure if to go? do i tell them before or after if i get the job? i dont like lying and this is an unexpected pregnancy so all can think of is this and not the interview prep :(

i dont want to waste there time or get angry knowing they employed someone (if tell them few weeks later) plus its hard as i know someone who works there and dont want them to know yet :S

please any advise as im going crazy trying to do the right thing :(

xx

2. forgot to add its for an lsa job :)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ooh, tough one!
    Don't really know what to advise. Honesty is always best, but if you don't want the colleague to know yet?
    But, instinctively I want to say it's not fair on the school to expect them to give you a job, knowing you'll be going off on maternity leave within xxx months. Does depend when you'd have to leave and if you're secondary and would be able to finish around exam time when students will be all prepared and wouldn't have an extra disruption to deal with. On the other hand it's early days and (one hopes no) but you could lose the baby, husband get relocated etc a myriad of other possibilities and if they're after the best candidate and you're it . . . !
    Whatever you decide I would tell them before they decided to appoint. At my recent interview we were warned we would be asked at the end of the interview "Have you anything further to disclose?",which was <u>not</u> a 'trick question' but an opportunity to mention anything extra which has cropped up since completing your application and that would be ideal time to mention it.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, you do not tell them.
    It is extremely unwise (even possibly illegal) for them to ask you anything about your family, including whether you are or intend / hope to become pregnant, as it could then be said that they took this into account in appointing or not appointing you, which definitely is illegal.
    If you tell them that you are pregnant, you are putting them in a very difficult position, because they should not know this for the reasons above. They will not thank you, because it could leave them open to a claim of gender discrimination - they did not appoint you because you were pregnant.
    You do not have to lie. You just do not have to tell them.
    Even if you were already employed by them, you would never have to tell your employer so early in a pregnancy. Partly (I'm sorry to say this) because things can go wrong, especially in the early stages.
    So do not tell them. Not before interview, not at the interview, not after the interview when they offer you the job.
    You tell them no later than 15 weeks before the expected date of birth - when you are 5 months plus pregnant in other words. That's a long way to go.
    When they ask you if you have anything further to disclose, they are thinking of anything that might be on your CRB check - they would be horrified if you took advantage of this question to tell them something that they should not know when making their decision on who to appoint.
    So congratulations, double congratulations. Congratulations on the baby, and congratulations on the interview!
    You most certainly go to the interview, you say NOTHING about the pregnancy, and before you go, you read the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Best wishes and good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well thanks for clearing that one up Theo. Makes sense for all the reasons you state
    .Just shows how 'ordinary people' can give 'bad advice', especially if like me, you bend over backwards to state the truth!

6. omg stupid pregnant brain ment accepted interview before i found out i was preg (found out few days ago) :S

thankyou both for replying! what if i have to go for a scan or midwife appointment? what do i tell them?

will go and say nothing- just found out theres few positions available so fingers x! i wonder if lots of ladies are in the same boat?

will let you know how it goes and prob will need more advice!

x

7. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I don't know the answer to this one - I found myself in a similar situation, just started a new job when I found out I was unexpectedly pregnant. I have to admit, though I knew I did not have to tell them so soon, I did as I felt it was easier for when I had ante-natal classes etc. So, big congrats to you and I am going to 'bump' this up to find out answer!

8. Well sometime ago I was invited for an interview. I was 9 months pregnant with a big bulging tummy, they didn't say anything and I didn't say anything. I was surprised but happy when I got the job.