1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy and CPD's

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by greenisland, Jan 16, 2020.

?

Is it best to complete a CPD course whilst pregnant or after?

1. Complete CPD's this academic year whilst pregnant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Complete CPD's next academic year whilst on maternity leave

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. greenisland

greenisland New commenter

One of my targets on my PDP is to complete a Computer Science accelerator CPD course so that I have the confidence to have my own GCSE class in September. ( I am currently sharing Y10 with my HoD)

I am currently 11 weeks pregnant and I am waiting to have my 13-week scan. I haven't told anyone at work. I am just waiting to find out that everything is okay.

In the meantime, I am planning to book myself onto some courses. One course starts in February and another in May. If I do this course in May I will be 7 months pregnant and keep thinking that I won't be focused on the CPD and that maybe I better deferring the CPD until next year. If everything goes well with the pregnancy then I will be on maternity leave this September and won't have to teach the GCSE until September 2021.

Is it best to do the CPD's now and get them out of the way? Or better to do them maybe towards the end of my maternity leave, if that is even an option?? I feel that If I do a course now, I might forget some of the course content as I won't be teaching those topics until next Sept 2021.

Your advice is much appreciated.

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Best. To discuss it with the HOD so an agreed decision is made.