1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Predicting KS1 results from FSP data

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lost_in_translation, Jul 6, 2012.

1. I know this topic has been covered many times and I have read many of the old threads. However due to changes in the EY curriculum and the government much of the referenced information and articles on various websites has been archived and I can no longer access it! So after some up to date advice and pointers.

I am a Reception teacher who is due to have a transition meeting with the Y1 teacher in the next couple of weeks. The school SIA has asked that I go through the FSP data with her (of course) and that I predict from it where the children should be at the end of year 2, and working back from that where they need to be at the end of year 1.

I am totally against doing this, for all the reasons that have been discussed in previous threads. I have not been asked to do this before, I have always been told at moderation meetings and by my EYAT that this is not the right thing to be doing and have always made it clear to my head that I feel the same way. I know that the head and SIA have always used the FSP data to do this anyway but I have never been directly involved.

Our head is currently away on personal leave so we have an acting head in. The SIA has asked me, via our deputy, to make these predictions. Apparently he told her that 'a P level of 8 predicts a level 3'. I wish he had said this to me as there are so many problems with that statement it is unbelievable! P levels in Reception - really?!

Can anyone point me in the direction of any up to date information about the inappropriateness of using the FSP to predict KS1 results? I would like to approach our acting head to voice my concerns well equipped with supporting information.

Thanks in advance

2. I know this topic has been covered many times and I have read many of the old threads. However due to changes in the EY curriculum and the government much of the referenced information and articles on various websites has been archived and I can no longer access it! So after some up to date advice and pointers.

I am a Reception teacher who is due to have a transition meeting with the Y1 teacher in the next couple of weeks. The school SIA has asked that I go through the FSP data with her (of course) and that I predict from it where the children should be at the end of year 2, and working back from that where they need to be at the end of year 1.

I am totally against doing this, for all the reasons that have been discussed in previous threads. I have not been asked to do this before, I have always been told at moderation meetings and by my EYAT that this is not the right thing to be doing and have always made it clear to my head that I feel the same way. I know that the head and SIA have always used the FSP data to do this anyway but I have never been directly involved.

Our head is currently away on personal leave so we have an acting head in. The SIA has asked me, via our deputy, to make these predictions. Apparently he told her that 'a P level of 8 predicts a level 3'. I wish he had said this to me as there are so many problems with that statement it is unbelievable! P levels in Reception - really?!

Can anyone point me in the direction of any up to date information about the inappropriateness of using the FSP to predict KS1 results? I would like to approach our acting head to voice my concerns well equipped with supporting information.

Thanks in advance

3. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Alister Bryce Clegg has a PP with some nice charts demonstrating that you cannot necessarily compare the two : http://abcdoes.typepad.com/abc-does-a-blog/resourcesdraft.html

4. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

I think that so much of this comes down to folk playing with statistics rather than looking at children.
    Statistics show that the average child achieves 6 points in EYFS points.
    Statistics also show that the average child achieves 2B at KS1
    From that the theory is that 6 points will predict a 2B
    It is not unreasonable to expect that high/above average achievers in terms of EYFS points would also go on to achieve above average levels at the end of KS1
    This gives us the theory that 9 points will predict a level 3
    Start to put that on a graph and you have all your intermediate points and you can even extrapolate further to include the lower levels.
    PScales should only ever be used in Reception for those children for whom alternative assessment is required by virtue of the child's SEN.
    Ofsted seem keen to use EYFS to KS1 to measure progress, and I do wonder if there is something in the new curriculum which will link the early years to National Curriculum given the wording of some of the proposals.
    This is possibly not that helpful but I wish you well in holding out for a proper National Curriculum assessment of children when they start in year 1. At least then the comparison of progress is like with like, and any predictions are made/targets are set on the same basis.