1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

precision teaching? What is it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by breadmaker, Dec 5, 2010.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Thanks for any replies.

2. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Thanks for any replies.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

It's when you try to address a very specific gap in a child's knowledge by repeating teaching over and over again. So you could do it for eg learning tables or PGCs. The sessions are quite short (10-15 mins) and the same teaching takes place every day for a week, so that you can demonstrate (you hope) rapid progress so that the child is up to where they can take part in a lesson. So if you had a child who did not know part of his 5x table, you could work on that every day to the point where he was able to join in with the rest of the class. I've seen it used for rote-learning and am struggling to think how it could be applied outside of that, but it would be interesting to see what others have to say.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Precision teaching was developed in the 70s to target teaching/learning key skills it focuses on measuring fluency (usually how many correct answers in a minute with the aim to improve own personal score each day)
    I use the Sheila Crompton Minute a Day maths
    http://www.aminuteaday.co.uk/mad_maths.htm
    and Big Maths which follows a similar principle in that the objective is for each child to beat their previous week's score

5. It is quite one dimensional but it works for many children at our place. We are using it at the moment to focus on spellings and maths facts. It could also be used for learning key vocabulary in a topic or French words. We find that Wordshark compliments the teaching of the spelling nicely.

6. We use it to reinforce phonics gaps, sight vocab to increase fluency, times tables etc. Only takes 5 minutes per child but it needs to be daily. You can use it for reading or spelling depending on how you adapt it. The aim is to overlearn the sound / word / fact so it becomes automatic because it is embedded.
    http://www.johnandgwyn.co.uk/probe.html We use this to get the randomised grids. You usually use a mix of words / sounds child already knows plus the target words so they can experience success as well as develop fluency in the targets. Our Ed Psychs recommend it and it does work for a lot of kids. They like the competitiveness of beating their score against the clock every day. We mainly use it with kids on the SEN register who are struggling to pick up facts / words etc. I also use it with my class and give them the randomised grids with tables facts, so that they can go home and practice them at home.

7. The Ed Psy introduced precision teaching on an inset when I was on a supply contract to a school. The school practice became was very much as katman describes. I think it is a good tool in the educational toolbox.

8. Ah. .... so this is a new term for 'rote' learning!!!!
    How the circle goes round and round!!! Anyone remember the crative curriculum of the 1970's???? tehe!
    Gerts!
    Retired, with books on sale at great prices on my website: www.grumbles.me.uk

Now further reduced because I want them gone!

Last few Christmas books now!!

Anyone want any posters? They're going up next - all free apart from P & P.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Rote learning with paperwork gertie [​IMG]

10. yes you are right!!

11. Precision teaching is based upon applied behavior analysis. It aims to precisely define the set of target behaviors and to increase their rate through reinforcement. It is usually applied after the acquisition phase of learning, when fluency is needed to gain mastery. The rates of behavior are charted on a standard celeration chart.

Some misconceptions:

1. It is NOT rote learning: it is a system for measuring the rate of behaviors. These rates of behavior could be responding to questions where the questions are always different. It could be in the application of a math problem.

2. It is not just a system where students sit down and work at a table. Precision teaching has been applied in many areas, including business to improve performance.

12. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I know this is an old post, but I was hoping someone could help. We are implementing precision teaching at my school, but nobody seems very clear on the finer points. Can anyone please answer a few questions for me?

1. Is there more to it than producing a randomised chart with eg 5 words (Y1-2) and timing the child reading them daily and seeing how many right/wrong they get in a minute? Or should there be a longer-eg 5-10 minute teaching session going over the words with the child each day in addition?

2. Do you all record the data on a graph. I've seen some of the graphs online but they seem rather complicated? How do you recall them self correcting or saying 'I don't know'? Could it just be done on a list, eg Monday 20 words in a minute, 3 wrong. Tuesday 22 words known, 3 wrong etc

3. Do you involve the parents and if so-what do you tell them to do? Just read the list frequently with their child? Or do they see how many they get right in a minute as well?

As you can see-we haven't had any training yet. I would love to know how it's supposed to be done though if anyone can spare a few minutes to explain it to me.

Thank you!

13. sky7

sky7 New commenter

Hi, I've recently been on training for this, and started using it.

1. There is a teaching ("direct instruction") part and also precision monitoring (how many words the child gets right in a minute). For the direct instruction, the child is taught e.g., 4 words. Once a child has got these words right 5 times (e.g., over 5 days), then they are ready to move onto precision monitoring of those words. So in each daily session the child will be learning 4 words + doing precision monitoring of the previous week's words.

2. You can record the data on a graph, or you could just use a list (I do both) - the purpose of recording on a graph is so that you can show it to the child. The graphs look complicated, but the biased scale is designed in a way to be encouraging to the child so it looks like they are making more progress than they are. Not sure about self corrections - I count as right, and r.e. 'I don't know', I encourage them to have a go (because I know that they do know).

3. We're not involving parents at my school.