1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Precising longer passages...what does this actually mean?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oodlesofdoodles, Mar 20, 2016.

1. oodlesofdoodles

oodlesofdoodles New commenter

Can anyone help me out? I have tied myself up so much with this Year 6 objective that I have lost sight of what it actually means! Can anyone give me some examples that will get it straight in my mind? Thanks!

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

Isn't it a little like the blurb of a book, but without leaving the exciting bits out that would otherwise serve to tempt the reader to read the whole book? The children we need to be able to identify the key events to include in their precis, leaving out the incidental bits.

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Precis. It used to be one of the exercises on the O level English Language paper...

It's summarising: contracting a passage of x length into a given number of words.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As stated it gives all the important points of a passage but using fewer words.

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Yes. In fact, when teaching my Y6s, I refer to it as 'a summary which is also known as a précis'.

Yet another needless complication of perfectly straightforward terms.

GillPreston, teacup71 and Lara mfl 05 like this.