1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-school

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by qualiteacher, Nov 30, 2011.

1. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

Hello All, I am looking for some advice and info from overseas, please. How do pre-schools/playgroups run in the UK? I mean pre-nursery groups, primarily for 18 months - 3 year olds. Are there morning sessions, afternoon sessions, do the parents attend or leave them there? how long do the sessions last for? What is the adult/child ratio?
    Thank you all in advance!

2. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

Hello All, I am looking for some advice and info from overseas, please. How do pre-schools/playgroups run in the UK? I mean pre-nursery groups, primarily for 18 months - 3 year olds. Are there morning sessions, afternoon sessions, do the parents attend or leave them there? how long do the sessions last for? What is the adult/child ratio?
    Thank you all in advance!

3. Pre-schools vary depending often depending on their location. many are in church halls and community buildings which have other users and this can restrict sessions. Children usually cannot start at a pre-school before they are two. We take children from two and they can be left from this age. The staff ration for two year olds has to be 1:4, and 1:8 for over threes. Our pre=school runs for 7 sessions a week, 5 mornings and 2 afternoons, each session lasting 21/2 hours. There is an optional lunch club which adds on another hour and we also offer two full days from 9.15 to 3. Our parents find this very useful. However, pre-school hours do vary greatly depending on location and need.