1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pre-school setting for NQT year?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by haywire, Mar 4, 2011.

1. haywire

haywire New commenter

I'm an NQT and have recently been to visit a Montessori pre-school for children aged 2.5 - 5 years. Would a position at this school count towards my NQT year? The leader doesn't have QTS but they do follow EYFS curriculum (loosely).

2. haywire

haywire New commenter

I'm an NQT and have recently been to visit a Montessori pre-school for children aged 2.5 - 5 years. Would a position at this school count towards my NQT year? The leader doesn't have QTS but they do follow EYFS curriculum (loosely).

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Where induction can be undertaken
    3.9 Induction can be served in the following workplaces under the following conditions:
    • maintained schools;
    • non maintained special schools;
    • Further Education institutions, including sixth form colleges, that are able to satisfactorily provide a programme that will allow the NQT to continue to meet the standards for QTS and meet all the Induction standards, and that meet the requirements in paragraph 3.14-3.16.
    • maintained nursery schools (that have a head teacher) and nurseries that form part of maintained schools. Note that Children's Centres that are maintained by the LA and are legally designated as maintained nursery schools can host induction but will need to ensure that the NQT's role and responsibilities comply with these regulations and enable the NQT to demonstrate that they are maintaining the QTS standards and have met the induction standards. NQTs must be appointed an induction tutor who holds QTS and teach classes of pupils predominately of ages 3 and over (as education of pupils 0-2 does not fall within the defined remit of a maintained nursery school).
    • independent schools[1], where:
    i) the curriculum for any primary pupils at the school meets the National Curriculum requirements;
    ii) the curriculum for any pupils at key stage 3 or 4, that the NQT is employed to teach, meets the National Curriculum requirements; and
    iii) an agreement has been reached between the school and either a LA or, for schools affiliated to the Independent Schools Council (ISC), the ISC Teacher Induction Panel (ISCTIP), that they will act as the school's Appropriate Body. This must be arranged prior to the start of the induction period.

4. haywire

haywire New commenter

Thank you. I guess that means it won't count as its an independent nursery without a headteacher (more like a playgroup I guess).