1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-school Planning -Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hayley1703, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Hi, I am a room leader of a pre-school room within a private nursery, I am struggling to find a way of planning and how to show to ofsted how all areas of development are being covered throughout the room - any ideas and samples would be much appreciated
    Thankyou in anticipation :)

2. Hi,
    I use a few things to show how all areas are being covered - my SEF (which is really long!), and a book of photos and obs. I made the book out of photos taken over the course of a year in 6 sections - one for each area of learning, with lots of examples of how that area was covered in different ways in different places, i.e. CLL happening at the mark making table, in the role play area, outside, through construction activities etc. I also put in additional sections on outdoor play, celebrations and festivals, visits and visitors, parent partnership etc. This is my book for visitors to look through, but also something I can hand to an inspector to give me 5 minutes to pull myself together! It seemed to work well when we were inspected last year.
    Also each half term I have a focus area of learning sheet for the staff (conveniently 6 areas and 6 half terms!), which translates some of the more difficult EYFS language, poses questions that the staff might ask themselves about what they are observing, and has links to the planning for that half term, e.g. if we are doing a story with a refrain, it might prompt staff to watch for children who anticipate and join in. There is just a space for 2 observations at the bottom, so staff make a quick note, or stick in an appropriate ob, and I can show that we've covered all areas for all children over the course of a year. Obviously the important thing is showing how you use the information that the obs and focus sheets draw out to inform your planning and next steps for individuals, but it's a good starting point.
    Happy to share focus sheets if you'd like them - just let me know your email.
    Best,
    K