1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-school music lesson arghhh !

Discussion in 'Music' started by jostevo123, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hello, just taken over music lesson only about 20 mins with 3-4 yr olds, introducing fast & slow , any ideas please visual signs etc trying to keep as simple as I can ....

2. If you can make contact with any Colourstrings teachers, it would be ideal for ideas...
    Offhand ideas (recalled from my own children attending classes...)
    simple songs with limited number of notes (and hand signals to match sol fa... to get the idea that same symbol means same note..) or just songs about high/low and actions indicating high and low notes...
    singing loud and quiet, with puppets who like/don't like loud noises.
    fast, slow... song about running with baby bear (sung in quavers) walking with mummy bear (crotchets) striding with Daddy bear (minims) ...children can play percussion to appropriate rhythm, move about the room using appropriate steps, or tell you which bear when you play a beat on a percussion instrument. Maybe even showing them cards with these rhythms drawn as notes and getting them to select the card that matches the rhythm you play (cards could even be put in different corners of the room and they move to the corner representing the rhythm played)
    Listening to a short piece of music (my children's teacher got them to lay down on the floor and shut eyes... listen and then describe the music afterwards - exciting/calm/ loud/soft etc)
    Oops, I've just re-read your original post and maybe you only want ideas about fast &slow... but maybe the bear ideas will help...(you could bring along 3 different sizes bears to introduce the ideas!)
    Hope some of the above helps...
    Liz

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

play a piece of very fast music (eg Flight of the Bumble Bee) and a piece of very slow music. Get them to move to the music. Play along to the music with instruments.
    or be ants and snails -scurry and crawl and use instruments appropriately

4. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

Buy "Gently Into Music" by Mary York. It was produced in 1988 but is brilliant for the sort of activities you describe.
    Here it is....http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gently+into+music&tag=googhydr-21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=9486772021&ref=pd_sl_ir5voc5qn_b