1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-school children -vocal range?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sir Cumference, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

I'm writing some simple songs for 2 - 5 year olds. Should I assume a limited vocal range of roughly C to G?

2. Sir Cumference

I'm writing some simple songs for 2 - 5 year olds. Should I assume a limited vocal range of roughly C to G?

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Yes! Some will have more or less notes and the common notes for very early years are EFG. Watch out for the little ones who can sing well in tune and you will have found a life-long singer. Will these songs be for sale/download?
    [​IMG]

4. Sir Cumference

I'm writing a simple Nativity for 2-5 year olds. It will be published by One More Time in good time for Christmas 2012

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

sounds good - I would be interested. Please can you remind us all next autumn

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

(But please don't assume the others won't be - I couldn't sing in tune until I was 10, and I am now a competent choral singer (and a string player). Someone told me their son was similarly late - and he's now a choral scholar.)

7. I think range can stretch up to A and down to a low B and perhaps a little bit more if the pitch is only held briefly.
    And need I mention that you should use quite slow tempos, lots of repetion and allow plenty of space for them to form the words - with lots of long vowels if possible. And I also dissagree that early competency necessarily an indication of future singing success - although I could sing in tune when i was three I have taught year 7's who find pitching difficult but who have gone on to sing in tune.