1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre school and 3year olds mixed. HELP.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by prettylitttlemonkey, Feb 21, 2012.

1. I currently lead a room of 24 children age 3 and 4 years. We have roughly around 24 going to school in september and the rest of them (around 16) are literally just turned 3 coming each week.
    I am starting to struggle as every year this happens and each year you forget how different they are.
    I have just tweeked the daily routine and was wondering if anybody could give me and ideas what you do in your settings. IE. key person time or if you seperate the ages at any time of the day.
    We are really struggling with the letters and sounds aspect of it too as the age is stage of development is such a massive difference
    Thanks for any advice you give me :) x

2. Hi there :)
    We are in a similar position, our pre school sessions hit the 40's some days and like you say there is such a huge difference between the ages! We have had a little boy start this week literally on his 3rd birthday whereas so children are the other end of 4!
    We don't separate the children as such during sessions but we try to make sure that the key groups are of a similar age and stage of development. This way when we have our daily group times we can concentrate on areas such as letters and sounds for the older children yet still focus on PSED and settling for the younger ones.
    The amount of one to one and adult led activities also differs as we find the younger children need more direction and support whilst finding their feet in play whereas the children looking to go to school this september have much more independence and need practitioners to extend their play rather than direct it.
    Hope this is of some help!
    :)

3. Thats a good idea about trying to give key grouops around the same aged children will definatly look into that for september. Also how often do you do key group times and how long for?
    thanks