1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-retirement support

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Curly467, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Curly467

Curly467 New commenter

I work in the public sector and was very interested to stumble across this informative forum. I am 47 and starting to consider my retirement options but feel there is a lack of advice/information on how to successfully transition into retirement particularly in the areas of finding purpose, creating a new identity, building new social networks and creating boundaries in terms of caring responsibilities. As a result, I am considering setting up a series of workshops and events with guest speakers in central London for those who are approaching retirement or who are recently retired. To make sure I am addressing the right needs, I would really appreciate any feedback at all you can supply on the below questions.

What are the biggest challenges (other than financial) that you wish you had had advice on before retiring?
    If you are still working, what worries you most about retirement (other than financial)
    If interested, would you prefer to attend weekend or evening events on this topic?

All feedback gratefully received.

eljefeb90 and djhappy like this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

ATL, now part of the NEU union, had (might still have) day courses which did this

3. Curly467

Curly467 New commenter

Many thanks for letting me know. I will look into it.

4. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I think you have hit on something regarding ' creating boundaries in terms of caring responsibilities '. Assumptions are made by family members that, now you're retired, you can look after mum/ the kids. I think you need to be firm in setting a line about what you will and won't do and when.

5. sandy shaw

sandy shaw New commenter

I have just retired from teaching. Financial is one issue. I've done my sums and I think I'll be ok but I haven't lived on a pension yet (that will be September). I wont get my state pension for a couple of years either.
    As you said, I'm worried about finding purpose and creating my new identity. Teaching tends to take over your life so much that perhaps you lose any other purpose. Up to now my entire identify was teaching...This will be a real challenge for me, even trying to find some hobbies...before it was just creating a powerpoint for work!

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I had exactly the same concerns as you as I approached retirement 15 months ago. Financially I knew I would be OK because I had 33 years of teacher pension and I had a good sum in AVCs. My wife still works part time.

My first concern was to keep fit in retirement. Once retired, your mortality comes more closely into focus and so a little effort and good habits established early in your new life outside of teaching will hopefully postpone an untimely demise or the need for expensive care.

Firstly, I took up swimming again and try to get my 750 metres (30 lengths) at least twice a week. It gets me out of the house, I feel as though I've had a workout and with the showers at the leisure centre, I don't need a bath at home that day thus saving some cash. Secondly, I went along to the over 50's badminton once a week. Good for keeping fit and finding new friends. I have a bike and try to get out on that when the weather is nice and there is always the gardening to be done. My wife and I look after our pre-school grandson two days a week and that keeps us busy chasing around the garden or going out.

Prior to retirement I kitted out part of my garage as a craft workshop with bandsaw, sander and drill and have spent time designing and building some household items from wood. I have picked up my guitar again after many years and am polishing up some numbers. I am a member of a choir and that gets me out to rehearsals and concerts. There are many other things I would like to try like bowls or joining the ramblers or volunteering but I just seem to be so busy with other things.

There is so much for retired people to do but you've got to get out and find these things for yourself. Up until now your job has determined what needs doing when but now you've reached a point where you need to break with the past and look to enjoy your future life. Not everything you do has to have purpose or be 'worthy'. Spend an afternoon watching films or box sets, listen to the radio or read a book. I look forward to each day and I started retirement purposely not harking back to my time in the classroom or wishing myself back there. That time has gone, time now to look forward.

I hope retirement works out for you, you find fulfilment in the days that are now your own and that you can define yourself as a forward looking retiree rather as an ex-teacher.

Prim, eljefeb90, Master59 and 3 others like this.
  7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Having activities gives structure to your week and social contact. I have choir and Italian lessons every term time week. Once a month is book club and a day looking after our grandchildren. I’m an active member of a political party and have several friends to spend days with. All these mean I’m not bored or lonely. It is lovely to be able to do all of this after working flat out all my life.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm with @Shedman Make keeping fit your priority.

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  9. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Read the book 'The New Retirementality' by Mitch Anthony. Use a highlighter as you are reading it, to note things which jump out at you. It covers lots of different aspects to consider - not just the financial side.

It's a good investment.

Also read the thread on this forum 'What is everyone doing now they're retired?' - it has a number of useful contributions and ideas.

10. stopwatch

11. stopwatch