1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre Release booklet - TV Crime Drama

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Livbean, May 14, 2012.

1. backtoback

backtoback New commenter

Surely we shouldn't be looking at anything with the students now the pre-release has gone out - it does say no formal teaching.
    My class won't even have anymore lessons now, which I think is a good thing.

2. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

Scriptwriting seems extremely unlikely: they can't really show off what they've learned about style, setting, characterisation in a script: they'd end up focusing too much on dialogue. Besides, it's not easily differentiated for C/D/E grade students.
    Although it says no formal teaching we should still be advising students to practise certain tasks in order to fully prepare themselves.
    It's worrying that people were given hints on the AQA course which hasn't been freely available to other colleagues.

3. Agreed! I wasn't allowed to attend either! Fee like I have wasted the last 3 months!

4. I agree - no one should be teaching now! My students left last Friday and simply came in to collect the material yesterday - they are on their own!!!! [​IMG]

5. Students at our centre have now left! I gave them suggestions last Friday and they just had to come in and collect the material yesterday - this exam is very unfair as there is no level playing field!

6. oheretic

oheretic New commenter

Just a thought - But MONK may well be a good one to look at, you could easily argue this is family viewing rather than pensioner viewing like 'Heartbeat', Diagnosis murder', etc.

7. By the way, I'm on maternity leave now so would really appreciate someone sharing the questions on the day here after the exam so I can see what they were. Thanks

8. Chikin79

Chikin79 New commenter

Glad you have mentioned the Sherlock type idea. I have just rang AQA and asked if an element of comedy could be put into the ideas as it does say "Drama". As per usual i was passed onto someone who had no idea what they were talking about ..... I think im going to go with my gut feeling and turn it into a family comedy/crime (Johnny English etc) How they came up with The Bill. As i kid i thought that was boring as hell!.

Am i right with saying they want to totally avoid stereotyped characters in this brief? It is worded in such a way that im not 100% sure and is this the same with settings etc?.

Cheers

Craig

9. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

I'm not sure about stereotypes either given the wording. I expect that could be a differentiation thing - more able students might move away from stereotypes but, really, I don't see how they could lose marks for characters who are somewhat stereotypical.
    When I rang AQA recently I was also fobbed off to someone who knew nothing about the course. I can't wait to move to OCR!

10. I'm pretty sure that the 'Press Release' is talking about the Prelim booklet itself as it is written as though they are being entered into an actual competition to pitch your own crime drama, the glossary isn't made up of clues for the exam, only words in the prelim material that some students may not understand (because there is no lower tier or higher tier it is all the same exam) so they cannot assume everyone knows what it means because they are all on different levels and teachers are obviously not allowed to teach after they have been released.

11. I see what you are saying, however, you have to be careful with using comedy in it as the brief does say realistic, and for a crime to be funny is very unrealistic especially if it is something such as murder.

About the stereotyped query, i agree they do not make it 100% clear how ever I do think they want the unconventional twist that every crime drama offers, so if your unsure i would go with making that twist an unconventional charector? just a thought!

12. Mine are taking the 'original' and 'challenging stereotypes' bit a bit far. There's lots of Chinese disabled gay characters etc - had to get them to tone it down a bit!