1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-preparation tips for Maths PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Sumans, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Hi,

I have got into PGCE-secondary mathematics through school direct starting Sep-2015.Because I also have 2 girls to care for, I thought its necessary to have a head start. Please can any one suggest as to the best books to read on maths teaching(I have already started brushing up my own maths using Elmwood press text books), and what are the essentials in the stationary list?Please, any tips from maths teachers is geatly appreciated-many thanks for reading!

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

1. Make sure you can do AS maths core papers with relative ease - you're almost certainly not going to be teaching A level, in fact you'll be spending almost all your time with KS3 kids who will stun you with just how little they know (how is it possible to be in school for 8 years and believe that 13.5 multiplied by 10 is 130.5 ???), but if you can do AS core you'll have more than enough subject knowledge for anything you'll meet in your training.

2. Read "teachingbattleground.wordpress.com" - (start at the beginning, not the most recent post) a blog by a maths teacher who's seen a great deal of what you will be told is fact by your trainers and discover what you thought you knew all along - that what the trainers will be telling you is actually cow-poo.

3. Get up to date with the incoming GCSE specifications. Look on the Edexcel website.

4. Stationery has an "e". (like "envelope"). The one with an "a" means "still". Yes, you will be relentlessly picked up on your spelling and if you're unlucky enough to badly spell something that a parent sees, then you're for it!

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIv9rz2NTUk and read the author's books ("Why Students don't like School" is best).

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emx92kBKads and remember that it is almost completely unsupported nonsense. There are, of course, a couple of actual facts mixed up in there to give the illusion of credibility.

Read this:

https://community.tes.co.uk/tom_bennett/b/weblog/archive/2015/05/02/i-39-ll-be-back-tedinator-2-a-review-of-ken-robinson-39-s-39-creative-schools-39-part-1.aspx

(And all Tom's other posts..)

And welcome to a profession that is mode divided amongst itself than you ever thought possible. [​IMG]

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

PS If anyone tells you "Read Sue Cowley's 'Getting the b*gg**s to Behave", it helped me a lot", then don't trust another word they say.

4. Thank you for the invaluable advice.(Will brush up my spellings too! [​IMG])

5. gh194380

gh194380 New commenter

@PaulDG.

Why don't you like this book? I'm about half way through it at the moment and your question makes me wonder if I should continue reading.

Are there any other books you can recommend?

6. These are the books recommended by my university(haven't read them yet!)

"The Elephant in the classroom" by Jo Boaler

"Reflective Teaching in schools? by Andrew Pollard

?Readings for reflective teaching in schools? also by Pollard

?Learning to teach mathematics in the secondary school? by Johnston Wilder, Johnston Wilder, Pimm and Lee.

Is the book on maths teaching(last one) any good?

I found Sue Cowley's book a bit repetitive

7. gh194380

gh194380 New commenter

I've heard the second book you list, Reflective Teaching in Schools, recommended so many times. It's £18 on Amazon so i've ordered a copy.

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Bill rogers is a good author about behaviour. I would be careful of ordering many boobs though. You can't learn how to teach from a book. You develop your own way of doing it.