1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-PGCE

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lwright88, Jan 20, 2012.

1. I wanted to get some advice from people who have been through their PGCE. I have got a place for September, and want to make the most of my time before then. Is there anything you wished you had know, or did prior to starting? I thought securing my subject knowledge for Maths and English. And some general reading?

2. I wanted to get some advice from people who have been through their PGCE. I have got a place for September, and want to make the most of my time before then. Is there anything you wished you had know, or did prior to starting? I thought securing my subject knowledge for Maths and English. And some general reading?

3. My advice would be enjoy your months of freedom before taking on what will probably be the most stressful time EVER when you won't have any spare time.

(Brushing up on subject knowledge also probably won't hurt)

4. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I agree with this!

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Other than what the others have said :) which is very good advice.....
    I would say that personally, if I had could have done anything to help myself pre PGCE, I would have got my head around the following three
    • assessment for learning
    • differentiation
    • learning objectives and outcomes
    You will learn them during the PGCE but for me personally I would have found life easier if I had an idea about them at the start. I am secondary.

6. Callup a local school and ask can you spend time volunteering- get used to how things work. Ask a teacher you find good there if they will show you how they mark or write feedback
    Feedback marking, AfL, APP, Inclusion for All are all uber hot topics right now and being aware of them and understanding them before your course will def save you loads of time once placements start

7. Hi there, I'm in the same boat, starting in September (Primary), so thanks for starting this topic.

I'll be relaxing, but I've also checked out a few books - my library has them all:

Sue Cowley's 'Guerilla Guide to Teaching: The Definitive Resource for New Teachers' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guerilla-Guide-Teaching-Definitive-Resource/dp/0826492924) and Brilliant Trainee Teacher' (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/denise+smith/brilliant+trainee+teacher/8035750/).

I've also found that my university has a very relaxed library policy, no IDs to enter, so I expect I'll be 'just passing by' now and then to read a few texts. Not sure if we'll get a reading list in advance or not?

I'll also be saving like crazy... next year will be busy and tough and affording it all is still a major concern for me right now. I hope to get some good contracts over the summer.

8. Get as fit as you can.

9. Some excellent advice, getting as fit as I can is really good advice- next year there won't be time and I want to be on the top of my game!!

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I did my PGCE course back in the early 14th century, but I would recommend collecting together as much money as possible. You will need it for all of the teaching resources you will be making or buying out of your own pocket.
    On a slightly less negative note, I would make sure that your IT skills are very good. Can you scan things into your computer? Edit illustrations and photos, so that you can incorporate them into a Word document? Can you print things out in colour and in black-and-white? Do you know how to make a PowerPoint?

11. I think I've got both of those covered- as I'm working as an ICT technician in a secondary school atm. The money is good, so I'm saving plenty. My IT knowledge is very good!

12. I would go out and buy lots of folders and poly pockets!
    Organisation is absolutely key during PGCE- you will have acronyms and different terms and concepts thrown at you from the start and I could have been more organised in keeping helpful worksheets etc in appropriate folders. Basically keep everything you're given (at least until the end of the course when you can go through it and keep what will be useful.)
    The thing that surprised me the most during the start of the course was just how many things you are expected to do during one lesson- assessment for learning, pupils making progress, differentiation etc etc. and it is easy to get lost in the details.

Most of all, look forward to it and be ready for a very fast, tiring but REWARDING experience.
    [​IMG]

13. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Purchase a laminater and guillotine, invest in a decent laptop and a new black and white laser jet printer, and make sure you are embarking on some regular physical exercise to raise your teaching-fitness levels!