1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre PGCE preparation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by googolplex, Apr 1, 2011.

1. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

<ol>[*]Get into schools and do some observation.[*]Do lots of research from online websites, re ideas, materials, advice.[*]Read lots...anything and everything.[*]Learn how to spell.</ol>

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

This is a bit "left field" but I would say that reading "Crest of the Peacock" and Boyers History of maths will impress your tutors at Uni.

If you do not have a maths degree, I would also advise that you get hold of the books from OU M 101 and work through them. They are the best thing for learning high level maths in the style that it is being taught in schools.

Also join my campaign to get TES to install a spell checker.

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I should say that M 101 is 20 years old now but still available on Ebay occaisionally

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I have just noticed that you are using your own name, if you intend to be a regular poster here, I would be inclined to changeyou ID.

That also goes for any website you may have posted on over the last 20 years.

Kids love to find personal details about you and will be merciless in thier search for info about you.

5. Agree with above.
    My view:
    Get hold of the list of 33 standards and (i) do as many before you start either by creating situations where you can meet them now in the future,(ii) fabricate the fluffy standards (iii) Create a range of genric resources you can rely on when you realise teaching 4-5 lessons a day is actually quite taxing (iv) read how people met standards
    Loads more but that would be some of them.
    Agree on the name thing too

6. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

Boyer's History of Maths is an excellent book and i've used bits from it in my lessons to help bring maths to life!
    I'm just finishing my PGCE maths course at the moment, and theres nothing really to prepare yourself apart from revising A-Level mathematics. (its one thing to know it, but another to teach it!)
    Observations in a primary school helped me a lot - I got to see what happens before pupils get to me and I learnt some great tricks to bring into a secondary classroom. Marking their papers was great too as you can see what mistakes pupils make (i.e. in fractions).
    Overall though - enjoy your summer! You will have no life from september to june (i am currently trying to write two 4000 word essays and plan/teach 17 lessons a week while marking etc etc. parents evening tuesday too. (Yes I know its all part of the job, and i enjoy it most of the time, but its nice to have some time to yourself sometimes!)
    PGCE is hard work but its amazing and rewarding at the same time.
    Ps. work on other stuff aside from maths - I used to teach swimming and have other interests i.e. rock climbing - make yourself stand out now ready for interviews!