1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre Nursery Qualification

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by katy_hearts, Oct 10, 2019.

1. katy_hearts

katy_hearts New commenter

Hello! I have a Level 3 Cache in Childcare and Education and I’m currently leading the PreNursery team at an International School. I’d like to become more qualified in teaching this age group but I’m not sure what course to do. I have a degree in French so could maybe do the PGCEi but I’m not sure how relatable it is to the PN age group (20months -3years). Would it be better to do a Masters in Early Childhood or a Certificate of Higher Education in Early Childhood? Or go on to Level 4 Cache? Thank you!!

2. robspillane

robspillane New commenter

A PGCE is most transferable and opens you to more age groups incase you want to progress or diversify your teaching. With those other particular qualifications, you're inadvertently limiting yourself.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If your heart is definitely with the under fives, a PGCE won't really help you but you could look at early years teacher status(EYT). It won't give you QTS and you'd be highly unlikely to get a job in a school but if this doesn't bother you, it is worth exploring as there used to be some funding available ,not sure if there still is.
    Or, look towards your local area and look for short courses specific to babies and young children.

4. robspillane

robspillane New commenter

Yeh I agree with grumbleweed. If you're set on early years for life then PGCE isn't right. I would then go for a Masters as that is going to be universally recognised abroad. I have an EYT which I got before my PGCE and am working internationally and I have to admit, I don't think it really influenced their decision whereas a masters might have done.