1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pre-moderation

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fincop, Feb 18, 2010.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thanks mods. I hope the trolls aren't keeping you too busy!
    People who have complained about slow approval - as the trolls give up, and people stop testing the system, the volume of new posts will drop and the mods will be able to respond to them in a timely way.

2. Not complaining in the slightest ....just trying to get a feel for how it will work

3. I can see how your JustTesting post would fit into an existing thread, RF, but I'm wondering what will happen to new threads? Will they appear on the page in the place they would have been if they had posted immediately? If so then wouldn't it mean that the new thread could possibly be on page 2 by the time it's been pre-moderated?

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

At last!! Thank you Mods

5. Well, it seems to be working because there are no new or recently registered posters and a lot of old posters I haven't seen in a while are posting (including me).

6. Thanks Mods.
    The next few weeks will be very interesting and I hope that some of the posters who have taken a break (due to the tedious and predictable onslaught of trolls) might return.

7. I suspect because the problem is worst on Personal (Opinion has its trolls but people are not so fluffy on Opinion. I don't mean fluffy in a derogatory way).
    And I suspect that it may be extended but manpower may be a limiting factor at the moment? Possibly.

8. Good question dinx

I guess they will work through the potential glitches and they must have though most of them through

9. I suspect that the pre-mod will become quicker once the 150.000 usernames that cause all the hassle give up and go and troll somewhere else.

10. I guess my thinking was ... could I do a dozen posts on Opinion or my subject area and then come straight on here ... I did not test that .... perhaps I could then post directly on here

There was no indication whether I would be moderated for a number of posts or for a number of hours/days

11. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I agree, and realistically it surely can't take any longer to pre-mod than deal with all the complaints and clean up afterwards, IMO.xx

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

could you not let the trolls work out their own get-arounds?

13. ooops

did not think of that

I was just intrigued by the whole thing

14. The issue with the toolbar is not a TES issue, it is a browser issue. TES can't make it so that the toolbar works in those browsers. You either have to live with it and post formatting code, or switch browsers, unless the people who make the browsers decide to change things.

15. darkness

darkness New commenter

Are you sure about this, and if so can you give more detailed information about it, because I get no such issues with other forums and their tool bars. So what is it the TES are using which makes it not compatible? In which case, is it not the fault of TES of using something which is known not to work with a few browsers?

16. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

It seems to me as though everything ,everywhere is complicated more and more through endless paperwork, beaurocracy and target setting.
    In the olden days, I'd get targetted by a troll, get wound up about it for two hours, hang up a few curtains with nails to bang out my frustration and then I'd feel alright again, having managed to get the whole thing in to perspective.
    Now it's like every little thing we do has to be controlled.
    We see it in our jobs and in our everyday lives. Where as before you'd just set out and achieve something, now you have a push several pieces of paper round, proves it a hundred different ways , hit silly targets and in the end you have achieved less than you would in the first place.
    Why is evevything so unsimples!

PS the above is just a pretend rant.[​IMG]

17. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

What a shame, there was some wonderful truths in that post

18. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Yes, ACS but I have got myself into trouble in the past when people thought I was being serious.

Nah, I'm happy for Gail and Bev to come into the office at 10.00, leave at 4.00 and have their weekends and evenings free. Oh, and I think they should have a big fat bonus too - PM linked of course, but to targets like making a brew once a day, ensuring lunch is long enough, you get my drift.
    The end result would probably be the same. Posters would have either sorted themselves out or ******** off.

I think I've finally hit the age of cynicism and I blame mindless paperwork. [​IMG]

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

*Belle furiously searches for hammer and nails*

20. Sorry, I was repeating something (a bit muddled) that I'd been told ages ago, and it's not true any more. The toolbar is programmed using a program called tinymce. Old versions of this program are not compatible with Chrome, Safari and Opera, but the program has since been updated. It now supports Chrome and Safari 4 (but not Safari 2), and it partially works with Opera. TES could update their version of the program and fiddle with it to make it work. Not sure how big a job it would be, but it is doable.