1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-interview task - help needed

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by olunchick, Nov 5, 2017.

1. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

@pickles124 I have had an interview at the same school 2-3 yrs ago though the head was different - it was much much easier question wise.

2. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Are you kidding me? As i didn' think planning was a requirement?

Not being funny but this is not a teachers job. Is this a level 3 vacancy?

3. olunchick

Re: waiting game I made sure I asked when would they phone with an outcome and it should definitely be tonight. The only time when they phone the next morning is when they can’t get hold of their first choice candidate so I should know the outcome tonight.

4. pickles124

Anyone would think this is a HLTA post the way they are going. I really think some of their expectations are bordering on the OTT spectrum.

Planning is not part of the Level 3 course because I just asked someone a moment ago

5. olunchick

Yes it is a level 3 vacancy. They are making things harder pickles because they are streched for money. School budgets got smaller over the years in real terms. They look to hire the best possible person for the job for peanuts that TAs generally get because gone are the days when it was sufficent to stick to duties on your job description. You have to and are expected to go above and beyond.

My previous head said on many occasions when I walk around school I am constantly assessing whether my staff are worth their salary! You can’t be seen sitting down even for a moment because there are always things to do.

6. pickles124

I am going to refrain from saying what i really think here. Just don't think it's on at all. In any situation and in any circumstances.

And as for sitting down. I've had to because my spine was going to snap in half!! I'm quite tall and I've had searing pain in my lower spinal area when arching over tables. I told the teacher it is ok if i take a seat and she said yes. I've had days where I have rubbed in an entire tube of ibulieve into my back because the pain was that bad.

However i do move round class a lot to try to avoid bending my spine out of position. You can actually get musculo skeletal injuries from arching over.

At a special needs school none of us stood up but then it was a small class almost like a tutor group.

7. olunchick

Planning is not a requirement you are right, but during my level 3 course I had to demonstrate I can do it. And I can, I just didn’t bother. I agree it is not a requirement but like I said you are expected to go above and beyond what is required - competition is tough. There’s a lot of NQTs going for TA job roles too.

8. pickles124

Blimey i just feel like giving up. This is like mission impossible.

Without sounding ungrateful i am struggling with feelings of depression. One minute I'm ok. The next minute I want to cry. I don' know for how much longer i can hold on as its like clinging on to the Titanic.

If you don't get a job after all this, I will be lost for words.

9. olunchick

Sorry when I said sitting down I meant sitting down doing nothing, of course it’s ok to sit down as long as you are still performing your duties.

The school where I worked at before my hours were 8.45-1.15 and it was go, go, go no break no stopping. It depends on the school I suppose, because in another school I worked at all SEN Assistants were entitled to a 15 min break so it was perfectly ok to walk into a staff room and make yourself a cuppa even during lesson time. You do need 10 mins out smt.

10. olunchick

You can do it pickles, we can all do it. Just learn from each experience and put it into practice next time.

I am being completely honest with my views as that’s just how I feel. I will post questions later as there’s one that I think might be useful for you and it was the first time I was asked it after 8 interviews over all the years

galerider123 likes this.
  11. olunchick

Just got the call - a lot of positives but another candidate carried iut the activity better. And so it’s a no.

12. olunchick

See questions on INTERVIEW QUESTIONS thread.

13. pickles124

I'm really sorry to hear this olunchick. Are you looking at any other type of job role? Are you a graduate?

14. olunchick

I am a graduate yes. But after I graduated I had kids straight away so didn’t work for about 10 years.

I am going to give a break to applying as I need a break, it’s emotionally draining. My DBS should arrive in the next 2 days so will sit tight and wait for agency work.

15. pickles124

:( I am really lost for words. Have you not tried applying for Level 2 positions?

The questions that you posted? Are those the ones you got asked today? They look challenging.

16. olunchick

Yes, they are the ones.

17. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Sorry to hear that, olunchick. Try not to get too downhearted, something WILL turn up for you x

123Vanilla likes this.
  18. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Take a breather olunchick.. sounds as though you performed well at interview today. As sunshine mentioned, I feel sure that your next job is just round the corner

olunchick and pickles124 like this.
  19. pickles124

I am starting to feel sick with the pressure now... Any last any minute guidance for being in class tomorrow..its special needs. I haven' a clue what the children will be doing. I will introduce myself, take in labels for names. Keep language simple, smile, break task down into small chunks.

Ask teacher what they specifically want me to do, look at the IEP.

20. olunchick

I can only give interview advice - take a moment and gather your thoughts before you speak don’t rush into an answer. It is better to pause for thought and give a well informed answer than blurt out all you know and go off on a tangent. Think of points you are trying to convey. I say this based on feedback I have received in the past.

When you get really nervous think back to something positive something you’ve done well and it will calm your nerves down.