1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-interview task - help needed

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by olunchick, Nov 5, 2017.

1. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Hi everyone
    With it being my ...th interview I am feeling really demotivated and just can't get myself together. I have to carry out a pre-interview task which is 1:1 reading comprehension with a child whose reading age is that of a 6yo. I am taking along one and a half pages of text from tw inkl as only have 10-15 mins so didn't think we'd get through a book.

I am planning on reading the title, looking at the pics, predicting what the text might be about then getting down to reading, pausing after each paragraph so that I can ask questions to check understanding, discussing anything where they struggled etc...

So here's what I am wondering about - once the child reads the text, is it better to get them to write the answers to comprehension questions or to just say the answer? Any ideas at all please?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Hi olunchick
    Your plans sound good ... I can't imagine that they will be expecting you to work with the child for longer than 15 mins, so I think I would definitely go for oral answers - especially as the child has a reading age of 6 so is unlikely to be a confident writer. However, I would have a whiteboard and pen in my capacious bag, and if I got to the final paragraph and felt they were still wanting more, I would then have one question ready which the child could write an answer to. Best of luck!

3. olunchick

Thank you sunshine, you gave me some reassurance, just what I needed. Will be back on here tomorrow to let you all know how it went!

4. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

@olunchick I will pray for you.

I do know how horrible it is to feel de-motivated. I myself have been suffering with this over the last few days. Good Luck x

123Vanilla and olunchick like this.
  5. pickles124

The good Lord himself knows we are trying. And one of these days we will be rewarded for our efforts. I am sure of it. x

123Vanilla and olunchick like this.
  6. olunchick

Thanks pickles, popped on here to flick through a few pages of INTERVIEW QUESTIONS thread one last time x

7. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Olunchick I will be rooting for you today and hope this is the job for you. God alone knows you deserve it!! Pleased keep us posted on today's events xxx

8. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

How are you pickles?

9. olunchick

I have survived ladies. The task went ok, the child struggled a little with the task but the deputy head said for him it was an excellent effort he did really well and was engaged.

After the interview they had Maths and English taskfor me to complete ! Cheeky :) I wasn’t told about it beforehand. It wasn’t hard, once I calmed my nerves down!

Interview was ok I felt, there were a couple of questions I wasn’t sure about, but gave it my best shot.

I will post interview questions in the evening, I was the first candidate to be interviewed so don’t want any potential lurkers to read them and then go to the interview equipped with their best answers. Who knows.

Thank you for all the support, it really meant a lot. I was feeling down and doubtful last night so just needed some reassurance.

Overall, I feel I did well but not brilliantly - depends on how it goes for others I suppose.

10. pickles124

I'm rooting for you olunchick!! And yes if you could share a couple of questions that would be helpful. I'm feeling anxious again. It's the whole 'interview eve syndrome!"

11. pickles124

Plodding along as usual. The old routine!

12. pickles124

Olunchick- are you waiting on any other applications?

13. olunchick

@pickles124 you know last night when I was looking through interview questions thread, I came across a few people who got a job offer after their nth interview and at a school that is perfect for them. It game me some home that if things don’t work out then it wasn’t meant to be. Something better will hopefully come along.

It definitely is toughter out there these dayss. I’ve had 5 interviews when I was applying 2 years ago and got the job after my 5th interview. Now 2 years later and I am applying again, the questions seem tougher and responses required are more in depth.

Yes, I will post questions in the evening.

14. olunchick

Ps. I don’t really wait on applications @pickles124 I just apply, save the asvert and forget about them. So interviews usually come as a surprise. It’s better this way, once you have hit ‘send’ it’s out of your hands. No point waiting and stressing. Iknow some people follow up - I never do. I believe if they want you they’ll find you having postal address, email and phone - lots if ways.

But I think I’ve made 2 more after this one.

15. olunchick

I have also registered with another agency, waiting on DBS currently. Though they were honest and said it is quiet at the moment.

16. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

i hope this is the one for you Olunchick. I just feel that job searching in general seems a whole lot harder than it was even ten years ago (I am in my forties!). I may just take a leaf out of your book and once that application has gone, forget about it. Seems to save the whole stressing and wondering that accompanies a job hunt!

Keep us posted. :)

17. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Keep at it Pickles, when is your interview?

18. pickles124

I really don't understand why they are making questions harder. I mean surely to God the whole process is difficult enough without making it 10 fold?

I do hope its not another waiting game for you? Seems to be a recurring trend doesn't it?

19. pickles124

Tomorrow. Start praying the rosary.

20. olunchick

One thing I noticed while I was waiting for my child to be brought in that on their observation criteria 1st point was having written planning which I have done for my previous 2 interviews but not for this one! I thought sod the planning as it’s not helped me get the job but here we go they were looking to see it :-(