1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pre interview school visit protocol

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amoz70, May 8, 2011.

1. hello everyone,
    Can anyone let me kow what the protocol is for showing potential candidates around your school prior to a head teacher interview? Who should be showing these candidates around? The current post-holder, senior management, school secretary? What would give the best impression and what is 'best' or official practice?
    Thanks in advance
    AM

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Last time we did it the visits were conducted by the retiring HT and the CoG, but I don't think there are any rules on the matter.

3. Having had plenty of informal visits in the past I have been shown around by the head, year leader, deputy head and secretaries, in small groups, huge groups and individually. I always felt the ones which had really restricted visits in large groups were just going through the motions and were not really interested in the potential candidates. The most professional ones were with a member of the SMT 1:1.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think maybe it depends on the post being advertised.

What a potential HT wants to know about a school will not be the same as what a classteacher wants to know.

5. thank you for your response,
    I realise that these two posts would require different things which is why I specified that it was for a head teacher candidate. Could you eleborate knowing this info?
    Anne-marie

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sorry, didn't read the post properly. Must remember to do so!

The current HT, the DH an AH, a TLR post-holder would all be usual. But then again it could be the teacher governor, who could be at any level. Then again a school might always use children to show people round and so a couple of year 5 or 6 children would do so. If it was a very busy day and emergency situations had arisen, it could end up being whoever happens to be free.

Does it matter much? Never thought too much about it before.

7. Thanks again,
    I think we just want to be sure we give candidates the right first impression. Thanks for your feedback.
    AM