1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre Interview Essay for Primary PGCE!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by VBananas, Nov 25, 2007.

1. I have received a very welcome letter to say I have a interview at my first choice Uni. It also included instruction for me to write a essay to submit before my interview! Argh!
    It has to be 750 words long and I have choice of two headings.
    Has anyone else completed a similiar test? And where do I start researching?
    Any help will be good.

2. I have received a very welcome letter to say I have a interview at my first choice Uni. It also included instruction for me to write a essay to submit before my interview! Argh!
    It has to be 750 words long and I have choice of two headings.
    Has anyone else completed a similiar test? And where do I start researching?
    Any help will be good.

3. What uni is this for?? What are the topics? My interview was an interview, discussion and written task @ BCU
    x

4. Its for Bradford, the headings are
    1. 'Literacy and Numeracy are vital building blocks and its right to focus attetion on them.' Discuss this statement in relation to the needs of young children.
    2. 'The role of education is to provide the workers of the future.' Discuss in relation to children, their culture, their faith, their needs.
    Thanks for ur reply.

5. Humm, how random! If i were you id find out a bit about numeracy and literacy strats, also, whichever one you do, mention the 'Every Child Matters' initiative :) Sorry can't be of more help :)

6. Thanks for ur reply..Did u have a interview for Bradford too? Were you not asked to write a essay? I am abit confused that we had different instructions?!
    I will def include the Every Child Matters but these titles have throw me rather. Its to be expected within the course but before?!
    :)

7. I did this exact essay last year I did the first one. What I wrote about was how important literacy and numeracy are i.e how the are the base for most things but then how you still need all other subjects as well because they teach you so much more but basically that without access to literacy skills it is hard to access those topics!I'm not sure how right it was but that's what I did!You could also maybe right about how the govt obv think they are important as they have put so much emphasis on them and maybe even but in some of your own experiences of how important literacy or numeracy are as they love experience!That is if you decide to do that question! Good Luck!

8. I have the exact essay question also!

How were your essays received?

Can anybody think of anything else relevant to add/anything more up to date? I have lots of ideas but I'm just hoping I'm not approaching this in the wrong way!

Thank you

9. So is mine! They've not given me much notice to do the essay!

I didn't get a choice of titles though! :S

10. Hi I didn't get a choice aswell. Anyway, I managed to complete the essay but i don't know if it's right! Just got 2 more days left to prepare for the interview. I'm dreading it! How are you getting on?

11. Essays done they gave me an extension on it because of the short notice they had given me!
    Haven't really done much preparation for the interview, I just haven't had any time what with work and everything :(
    On the way to Bradford now so I've got the weekend I guess.

About current education issues .. I don't really know what to say! going to start preparing tomorrow.

What times your interview?

12. good luck! don't stress about the interview, it's really relaxed! got my offer this week!

13. My interview is at one in the afternoon. I've kind of prepared but really nervous!

14. Congrats! What sort of questions did they ask?

15. Mine is at 9am, all prepared now hopefully it goes well! Good luck with yours!

16. ]I Just had an email to say I have an interview at Bradford on Dec 15 9am. I have to do the essay and it says I have to take an object to the interview and discuss why and how I would use it to teach children ! I am really worried about the time I have to prepare. Like most of you probably have, I have essay dead lines from uni, work, helping at school and I'm a single mum.[:S Really want to get on the course but I just feel a bit overwhelmed !! would love to hear back from any one who has had their interview at Bradford with advise and maybe put me at ease with how it went. Also any ideas on object to take and types of quetions asked would be much appreciated !
    thanks Paula

17. Hi, I had my interview yesterday and got my offer through today! I wrote on another thread prior to my interview and someone replied with a list of questions they were asked. It really helped me because they pretty much asked me the same ones!

* What is the role of a teacher

* How I would deal with a colleague who I was having a problem with

*What is meant by the terms equality and diversity

*What are the current educational issues

*What are my stregnths and weaknesses

*Why do I think i'd be able to cope with the demands of the course

*And general questions about your application

They will also get you to do a written task, but don't worry they'll give you plenty of time! In our session we had to write about why we thought our experience, knowledge and skills would make us good classroom teachers.

Hope that helps! Good luck! :)