1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-employment medical for visa

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Bytor, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Hello folks

Anyone know of a decent place to go to for pre-employment / visa medicals in London that will not cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance.

Bytor

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Your local GP?

3. Bytor

No such luck. Have already tried that.

May try again and give the stereotypical Rottweiller receptionist a bone before asking next time.

4. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

What country? Mine just required a print out of records as enough proof.

As you are in London, you have options, I would suggest being more specific so that folk can suggest the right level of check for you.

5. Bytor

We have been given the requirements.

Apart from a tick box for general health info, we also require:

upload_2019-2-14_19-52-51.png

Adb- Abdomen
    CNS- Central Nervous system
    GUS- Genito-urinary system
    ENT- Ear, Nose and Throat
    LNMP- Last Normal Menstrual Period
    Hb – Hemoglobin (Hbg)

We have made enquiries to a number of places.
    The costs have been a bit of a shock.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Get a cheap flight to Warsaw, Poland. Get it done in a day for about £50, and all in English. Fly home, or stay for a day or to and enjoy a great city.

Look for Luxmed Warszawa

7. 576

576 Established commenter

Years ago I needed a general check, HIV test and chest x-ray.
    They were done by my GP and the local NHS hospital.
    I had to pay but seeing if the NHS will do them privately might be worth looking into.

8. Keyboard_Warrior

Keyboard_Warrior New commenter

I'm assuming that this is for China? What is the doctor expected to write about your urine / stool / deposit? Can't the doctor write a 'dash' to signal there are no issues?

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

:eek: I am shocked that anywhere (apart from a fertility clinic) needs to know information about someone's last menstrual period!

blueskydreaming likes this.
  10. 576

576 Established commenter

Maybe they wanna be sure you're not gonna go on maternity leave as soon as you arrive.

towncryer likes this.
  11. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I'd send them a stool sample!

towncryer and blueskydreaming like this.
  12. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

This is what puts me off international teaching and is the reason why my current job will be my last in the international circuit. Health tests were done,fortunately, in the country when we arrived but,overall, all these health and visa checks and the increasingly narrow acceptance of qualifications in certain countries ,get on my nerves.

I hope you find somewhere to do all this...it seems very over the top.I would go with the idea of going to Europe(while you can!) and finding a clinic that is set up to do all these tests on a walk in basis. Unfortunately the UK don't seem geared up to this kind of thing.