1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre booked holiday!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jak121, Jan 30, 2017.

1. jak121

jak121 New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently in my ITT year and am getting along well and enjoying it thoroughly. However, I have an anxiety about applying for jobs for September as I have a two week holiday booked in Rhodes for my brother's wedding, where I am going to be his best man (the holiday is about 2 weeks into the acdemic year). Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated as I cannot miss out on the wedding but also would love to have a position in a school!

Many thanks!

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

You cannot do both since its highly unlikely a school will allow you two weeks off at such a crucial time in the school year.

Forget about applying for a contracted post until you are free of commitments. Consider doing some supply until then.

Have a great time at your brother's wedding.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Pick one - you won't be able to have both.

Laphroig and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Sorry but I wouldn't employ anyone for a September start who already has 2 weeks holiday booked! One or two days I would possibly be OK with ( especially for a brother's wedding). But two weeks would be a no-no!

Laphroig and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

well, what if you were to ask at interview to have these 2 weeks unpaid? There's such a teaching shortage right now that I reckon that a head would still appoint you, if you impressed at interview. Good luck.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Wy do you need two weeks off for a wedding ?

Mangleworzle and minnie me like this.
  7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Although this is an idea, it would mean you'd probably be playing catch-up for ever. I'd go for the supply option as it might give you a chance to sample some of the local schools.

gingerhobo48 and Laphroig like this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I guess the OP is combining a holiday with the wedding. Given that it's the second half of September, I'd get yourself known to supply agencies, go away and come back in October ready to do supply and hopefully then find something more permanent as a result of that.

FrankWolley likes this.
  9. jak121

jak121 New commenter

We're going aborad and it's been booked and payed for for a couple of years now.

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Well obviously Rhodes is abroad. :D

I agree with the advice above. Expecting a school to accommodate two weeks off in September is unrealistic.

Laphroig and FrankWolley like this.
  11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My school accommodated 12 days off end of last term for a holiday booked before I was appointed. Unpaid leave of course.
    But they did.

12. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

Depends how desperate the schools are. We had someone who joined us 2 weeks later into September because of a wedding as well. She was the only candidate (language) for a school in special measures, so it was the case of beggers cant be choosers. If you're the only decent candidate then the school probably wont be able to say no. Just go to interviews and be up front about it and see what they say. Tell them you can't not go.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My school has accommodated me this term with a holiday in term time booked before they gave me a contract.

What subject do you teach? If they are desperate for you then they might agree or you can ask it as a condition of acceptance. I doubt you will get paid though.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not these days. Big teacher shortages in many subjects means that it is increasingly a sellers market.

15. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Why not investigate if there are alternative flights that reduce your potential two weeks to a few days?

16. ictbev

ictbev New commenter

When I started as a supply teacher I booked a trip to Disneyland Paris with my daughters and grandson for the September. I hadn't anticipated getting much work so it made sense. However I subsequently got a fixed term post. Obviously I mentioned the holiday, saying I would take it unpaid. They were absolutely fine with that, I did leave work for every class - in the form of a ppt with questions/research to do based on what I would be teaching.
    I don't think you have anything to lose by applying.

Good luck

17. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

My last Academy wouldn't even let me have three hours off, one being my PPA,even though I said i'd go unpaid, to go to the dentist to have a filling.
    However - they had amended my contract to start in September instead of July with the other NQTs, as I had also prebooked a holiday in Rhodes (only a week - but happened to be the last week of term when they started NQT contracts!)

It's worth discussing with them, and if they say no then it's a no. Otherwise - you could find a January start or do some supply - I recommend that to ease you in to it tbh.

Enjoy Rhodes! Family ALWAYS comes first.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  18. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Apply and be honest and upfront. You have nothing to lose. Contrary to what you read on these forums, there are kind, thoughtful and understanding head teachers out there.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  19. jak121

jak121 New commenter

Thank you all so much for your advice. I guess I will apply for jobs and be upfront about the issue and hope for the best.

Thanks again!

sparklepig2002 likes this.