1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pre booked holiday

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MissPE87, Aug 14, 2012.

1. I need a bit of advice....... I had applied for a permanent teaching job and the closing date for the job was the 10th July. I waited and eventually last week as I had not heard from the school I assumed that I had not been successful and I booked myself a last minute holiday for the first 10 days in September thinking that I would therefore be doing supply work and it would not be a problem.
    However, I received a phone call yesterday to tell me that I have been successful and I will have an interview next week. I know that it is jumping the gun a bit but if I am successful at the interview will I still be able to take my holiday?

2. I need a bit of advice....... I had applied for a permanent teaching job and the closing date for the job was the 10th July. I waited and eventually last week as I had not heard from the school I assumed that I had not been successful and I booked myself a last minute holiday for the first 10 days in September thinking that I would therefore be doing supply work and it would not be a problem.
    However, I received a phone call yesterday to tell me that I have been successful and I will have an interview next week. I know that it is jumping the gun a bit but if I am successful at the interview will I still be able to take my holiday?

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I think you have to tell the school. It's as simple as that.

4. No way of knowing! My advice would be to go to the interview, and see how it goes. I suppose you could mention it at the "Do you have any questions for us?" stage, if you felt you really must, but certainly my Head and I would want to appoint a teacher who considered our school to be a higher priority than their holiday, so you might be knocking yourself out of the running. Really you need to decide which is your priority. If it's the job, then you'll have to forgo the holiday. If its the holiday, then bring it up at the interview and see what happens. Be aware though - there are LOADS of people chasing every job.....

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I agree.
    The beginning of the year is enough hassle as it is, without the extra hassle of finding someone for 10 days, having to settle them in, then having to start all over again with someone else. And how would this impact on the pupils, many of whom are nervous at the beginning of the year?
    You should think of this from the school's point of view . . .
    Very many schools would consider that even asking this question puts you out of the running.
    Hard to lose your money, I know, but even harder to continue on JSA . . .
    Best wishes

6. Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the advice!

I was just really looking forward to my holiday after a lot of disappointments with job interviews! I can obviously see both sides of the coin and I have thought of this from the point of view of the school.....I know if I was teaching in a school and I heard that the new teacher wasn't starting untill the 12th September because she was on holiday I wouldn't be amused! I also know that I wouldn't like to let my new pupils down by not being there from the start of the year.

Going on holiday though wouldn't mean that it was more important to me than my school and my pupils....it just means that I've paid for it and that I hadn't put my life on hold to wait for a school who haven't made it their priority to put the applicants out of the misery of waiting to hear if they've got a job for September. It may sound childish and unprofessional but I should be able to take my holiday when it has taken them 5 weeks to let me know; its also unprofessional on their part for taking so long to getting round to short listing!

Anyway no point in jumping the gun.....if I am offered the job I will discuss the situation with my new boss and hope that they understand....

7. I agree that five weeks to short list candidates is very odd, but don't let frustration cloud your judgement. Best of luck for the interview, and any subsequent decisions.

8. How about waiting to see whether they offer you the job, then if they offer it you tell them about the holiday at that point and see what they say?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you are offered a permanent post, why on earth would you then put it in jeopardy by asking such a question? Madness! Especially in the current job climate.

I wouldn't mention it at all.

If they offer you the post then accept it and cancel the holiday. (You could always mention it at a later date casually in conversation as evidence of your commitment to the school.)

If they don't offer you the post then keep the holiday.

10. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I have to say I agree with the advice given above - it is crazy that they have taken 5 weeks to short list, however, having a job in these uncertain financial times is much better than a holiday (read the job-seekers forum to gauge how hard it is to get a job!) Do you have holiday insurance? Would it be too late to cancel? or postpone? I wish you luck in your interview.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They may have shortlisted 5 weeks ago, interviewed and offered the job 4 weeks ago, and then their candidate did the dirty and having accepted the post, then withdrew yesterday, leaving them very little time to appoint for September.
    Best wishes

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

In which case, it's very reasonable to see how one of the (initially) unsuccessful applicants might have continued on with planning the next couple of months of their life, including booking a holiday. It's fairly understandable to see how someone could be pretty certain, by 14th August, that they wouldn't have a job for September.
    In any case, the shcool may be prepared to wait for the OP to start after her holiday since the alternative might be to wait for a teacher who is already in post and cannot start until January.
    I think if you are prepared to cancel your holiday and lose the money, you could always try asking the school at interview about the situation; just be prepared with a breezy "Yes, I thought so, it's OK, I'll make arrangements to cancel" and say it with willing (not through gritted teeth) should they let you know that it would be a dealbreaker.
    If you don't ask, you won't know. Shy bairns get no sweets.

13. why not email them beforehand with the comment below
    i am happy to confirm attendance at next weeks interview but feel that i need to draw your attention to the fact that i have a holiday booked abroad from ... to .... . This holiday was booked several months ago.
    kindest regards

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Because then the OP wouldn't have a hope in hell of being successful? Not just because it shows they intend to go on holiday at the start of the school year regardless, but also that they were applying for jobs while knowing they weren't free to begin work.
    The OP appears not to have done this.

15. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I think it would important to say that the holiday was booked because they thought they had been unsuccessful in their application due to the delay in hearing from the school. Obviously, find a way to word this that doesn't sound like you are criticising the school!
    If the holiday was booked months ago, I'd understand the school questioning why someone would apply for a job when they knew they were unavailable to start at the required time. If it has happened that the school interviewed, appointed and then either withdrew the offer of employment or the successful candidate withdrew, then it's acceptable that the OP booked their holiday thinking they'd been unsuccessful.

16. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

[​IMG]

17. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Storm the interview, tell them you're going on hols, but it doesn't matter because domton will cover - the only work I stand a chance of in September [​IMG]
    Counting on you now to do well in the interview :)

18. Lol thanks domton I'll keep you in mind if I'm lucky enough to get the job and they let me go :)

Just to clarify I only booked the holiday last week and the holiday company have said that if I'm only letting them know on Monday if it needs cancelled that I will not get any money back. Guess the moral of the story is not to make assumptions when it comes to schools!

Theo surely if they had already interviewed and been let down by the person they had picked then they would have appointed the first reserve?

Trust me I know how hard it is to get a permanent job and hopefully I will get this one! If I do get offered the job I will mention the holiday but I will guage the reaction and be prepared to tell them that I will not go! What a mix of emotions that would be! Sheer happiness at getting a job and disappointment about my holiday!

Thanks everyone for your comments! I will let you know the outcome next week

19. What if you cancelled now? Would you get your money back?
    If you are successful, you could then have a job and take a holiday another time.
    If not, you could re-book another holiday...

20. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

I can understand why you would book for 1st 10 days of September (much, much cheaper) but surely this is THE worst time to go on holiday even with supply if any long term posts come up?

A job has to be more important than a holiday. Go to the interview and if unsuccessful, go on your holiday. If successful, cancel (or is there any member of your family that could 'take the holiday' if names were changed?)

As for why the school are inviting you to interview now.... I assume they appointed but for whatever reason the appointee dropped out. Or it could be a maternity/sickness cover. (Do check it is actually a permanent post.) Or maybe they are incompetent at timetabling and the timetabler has realised they need another teacher?

Good luck! If its Science and you don't want the opportunity, give it to me lol!