1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Praying I don't get an interview!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by littlemissraw, Aug 18, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

After a long 12+ month job hunt I've finally started applying for jobs out of teaching. 8 close in the next fortnight and whilst they all seem really interesting for the first time ever I'll cry if they call me to interview. My OH has just been offered a job in Aus and is really keen on going. Law of s0d someone will finally offer me a chance of a job the second he accepts! I half want to call them and withdraw just so there's no danger of me ruining his dream by not wanting to go. Agh! Why's life not simpler?!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you start looking to teach in Aus? The job situation is no better there than here, but hey you won't be worse off!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Got no answers. Just to re-inforce

4. littlemissraw

Is it not? Aww poop :-( xx

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Ah but life outside of teaching is simpler.
    You can still apply and go for job interviews outside of teaching even if you are unsure what might happen in the future. With a non-teaching job interview you are not expected to accept any post on the spot even before its offered (its a little oddity of teaching which I never understood and non teaching friends fall around laughing when I tell them about it). The selection panel fully understand that you want some time to think about it and don't expect a snap decision.
    Secondly even if you accept a post, most employers only want 4 to 6 weeks notice. Not the three months teaching seems to think is normal. (Agreed senior managment posts outside of teaching can demand more).
    So you have nothing to lose, you might get a job you like but if your circumstances change your plans can change with them. The only loser is the teaching profession but I think that gave up on teachers long ago.

6. littlemissraw

Thanks lespaul but it's not having to give notice on the job I'm worried about. I can weigh up that Aus might be worth moving to as at the moment I don't have work, but although it's has the potential to be a great experience I don't really want to go and leave my friends/family never mind sell all our things.
    Can just see me getting an interview now my OH has decided we should move but know if I do then I'll want to stay even more! Hence why for the first time ever I'm hoping not to get that far!
    Ugh so confused. X

7. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Oz was exporting teachers to the UK a few years ago, but in the past 2-3 years they've reversed the trend and are making it difficult for their own teachers to leave, and have even been trying to attract from here...