1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prawns

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, May 11, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I have a pack of cooked prawns I need to use up today. I had considered making prawn cannelloni but when I suggested this my wife wasn't keen. I'm looking for ideas, not too spicy as she's not very fond of spicy food. Any suggestions welcome.

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Just some ideas off the top of my head...
    Risotto?
    Noodle dish?
    Mild curry?
    In a type of paella-style dish?
    Prawn cocktail?
    Fishcakes?
    [My vote goes for fishcakes, btw]

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Sweet Chilli Sauce goes well with Prawns - and can be as hot/mild as you want - just add more Tomato/less Chilli.
    Or how about a stir-fry? Add some Pineapple and do it slightly sweet/sour.
    Or my favourite Pizza topping...Prawn, Pineapple and Garlic. Mmmmmmmm.

And I'd also go for Egyptgirl's fishcakes! Maybe mix with White Fish...and a dollop of horseradish or tartare sauce...just for a zing, not too hot.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Double mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [​IMG]

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

In the end, I cooked her prawns with spinach and a stir-fry accompanied with spaghetti. For anyone who the least bit interested, it was among the quickest meals I've ever cooked. The spinach was frozen , so I took some out and let it thaw. It was as wet as a bagful of wet things so I squeezed the moisture out then gave it half an hour in the fan oven without any heat to drive off a lot of the remaining moisture.
    Got the spaghetti on, 3 minutes later, stir fried some red pepper, spring onion, a finely sliced clove of garlic for a minute or so, added a small sprinkle of chilli flakes, a decent squrt of tomato puree and the juice of half a lime, and about 30 seconds later added the prawns to warm through along with the spinach.
    She said it was ok, and the dog didn't complain about what was left over either. I tasted it and thought it would be improved with a lot more chilli, maybe some corriander. As she isn't partial to either of these I'm glad I didn't spoil her meal.
    My dinner, that must be close to being ready, is chicken baked in sweet chilli sauce. I'm starting to smell it upstairs now and frankly I'm disturbed by dog is lying by my side and hasn't been alerting me that a delight awaits me. I wonder if she's unwell?