1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pram/pushchair help desperately needed please.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Harvsie, May 5, 2012.

1. I'm due in August and although we have looked at many prams/pushchairs we have no idea which one would be best to get. The thing that is confusing me is all the mixed reviews. We would like a parent facing pushchair and one that handles well. So far we have looked at:
    Mamas and papas sola (mixed reviews but I quite like as light)
    iCandy peach, cherry, strawberry
    Uppababy vista
    Oyster
    Silver Cross Surf
    Norton limited edition
    Mothercare spin

I'm just so confused. Has anyone got any suggestions of other good pushchairs or good/bad experiences with the ones above. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harvsie

2. I'm due in August and although we have looked at many prams/pushchairs we have no idea which one would be best to get. The thing that is confusing me is all the mixed reviews. We would like a parent facing pushchair and one that handles well. So far we have looked at:
    Mamas and papas sola (mixed reviews but I quite like as light)
    iCandy peach, cherry, strawberry
    Uppababy vista
    Oyster
    Silver Cross Surf
    Norton limited edition
    Mothercare spin

I'm just so confused. Has anyone got any suggestions of other good pushchairs or good/bad experiences with the ones above. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harvsie

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I've got an icandy apple and I love it. We got it in 2009 for our first child, who is now nearly 3, and we converted it to the pear when our second was born last May. It's now back to being an apple as our eldest never sits still!
    It's easy to use, the handle extends, it's sturdy, the carry cot is a nice size, the seat is comfortable etc. My friend has the peach and it's even nicer as it's more lightweight. She had it as a double.
    I've used my icandy pretty much every day for nearly 3 years!
    It fits into the boot of my Zafira without being collapsed too.

4. Haven't used it yet as baby isn't due until the end of the month, but we have bought a Silver Cross Freeway pram with the co-ordinating Ventura car seat and isofix base that coverts it into a travel system. Both the pram and the chasis fit in the boot of our peugoet 207 (the lady at babys r us was amazed, we were expecting to only fit the chasis in) and the entire system is a doddle to use, everything clicks to show you have fitted it together properly. The pram is a "proper" pram, which then converts to a pushchair. Both the pram and pushchair can face either way. It comes with a rain cover, snuggly insert for when baby is little, changing bag. The only thing it doesnt come with is a parasol, which Im hoping I will need!
    On a different note the boxes everything is delivered in have really cute pictures of babies and toddlers playing in them (its my first baby and seeing these boxes made it seem real!).
    Oh and I dont work for Silver Cross!
    My only quibble was that we live 30 miles away from the HQ and they used a delivery service that went via Birmingham and Preston!!
    T x

5. Thank you for all your opinions and helpful tips. I went back and had a look at all the prams again on Saturday but still couldn't make up my mind. I've heard good and bad reviews for all but the Uppababy Vista but I don't know much about Uppababy. Think I'm leaning upwards Uppababy or ICandy Cherry at the minute. My parents are giving us some money towards the pram but do want us to get a carrycot as they think it's right for baby to be laid flat. We are thinking about going to the baby show in Birmingham this month so might see what is up there. Thanks again for everyones comments.

6. I have the Uppababy Vista and I absolutely love it as does my little boy! I would recommend it to anyone. My little one went in the carrycot every day over the winter months and slept really well in it. I liked the fact that it was quite deep so kept him snuggly and warm, plus it can be used for overnight sleeping- useful if you are going away with baby when they are little as there is no need to take a travel cot. It folds really easily- much better than a bugaboo in my opinion. I went to kiddicare and test drove lots of them- at the time it was one of the only places that stocked the uppababy but now John Lewis do it- so you could compare the uppababy with the Icandy if that would help.

7. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Nearly all the parents of toddlers I know have stopped using their travel system and now use a stroller, most of these are Maclarens as they are such high quality. I second Spider's suggestion of using ebay to find an immaculate nearly new travel system (new car seat of course)- we did this and paid £400 instead of £900 for a gorgeous Quinny Buzz in limited edition colour with pushchair, brand new wrapped maxi cosi ar seat that is compatible, carrycot that doubled as a moses basket/ travelcot, chassis, raincover, extra large seat. It was a lot of money still but we had a substatntial gift from family as MIL received some inheritance so we used a little bit of it for the pram. I don't regret buying it as I used it so much in my daughter's first year, and I wouldn't have put her in a stroller from birth, but I love my Maclaren Techno XT sooo much now! Light, folds flat, very safe as child can't undo the seatbelt, handles beautifully, folds up tiny. Also, it seems like a huge decision at the time but as my friend pointed out, 'all prams are c**p, you just have to find the least c**p one for you'. As in, even the best most beautiful pram can be a pain sometimes and you will pray for the day they walk and you son't have to keep putting the damn thing up and down all day... come back to me on that one though as I'll soon be wishing my 17 month old will stop running about! (she is still not walking). Good luck x

8. I agree with kittens, I don't think I know anyone now who uses a travel system, we've all got strollers. I think it's Singingredhead on our thread over on babies and toddlers who has a McLaren XLR which is a buggy but you can buy a carrycot and car seat adaptor for and turn it into a travel system. Also we have a city jogger (great to fold quickly) and you can also buy carry cot and car seat adaptor for it to turn into a travel system, although we didn't bother as I was given a second hand travel system but rarely used it. LO preferred a sling. It is a huge minefield but if you shop around you can get some good deals.

9. SR and I both have the Maclaren XLR.
    I love mine! It has a carrycot from birth and you can fit the car seat on. It is still a pushchair though, so it's really coming into it's own now that LO is a bit bigger. The seat liner is easy to whip off and wash; the handles are adjustable; it folds up smaller than most travel systems; and the extending hood is fab when used with the huge footmuff - no need for a rain cover unless it's torrential rain! The basket is quite small but I just hang stuff from the handles. It's also light weight and manoeuvrable.
    I did have moments of wishing that I'd got a icandy or oyster, especially when you see the lovely big carrycots, but I really wouldn't change my decision now. My friends with toddlers have nearly all changed to Maclarens.

10. Things that annoy me about my pram:
    It's got two back wheels that come out slightly outside the space taken up by the body and handlebars - means I'm forever catching them when taking tight corners.
    One solid handlebar rather than two individual ones - can't hang shopping on it without using hooks.
    The shopping basket is placed so as that you can't get anything in or out of it when the pram carrycot's on.

Whatever you get - when you get it I'd suggest spending 20 minutes or so folding it up and putting back up, clipping car seats on and off... when we got ours out and took it to the hospital - everything was sooooo incredibly stiff with it being brand new that we couldn't get it up or down and the car seat was pretty solidly wedged onto the frame - it's loosened up with time, but in hindsight I'd have done all that at home and not wrestling in the middle of a hospital ward (the car seat on ours is soooo heavy to carry I tend to take the base out to wheel it around where other people might just carry theirs).

11. Kittenmittens- we must be complete oppostites! As I was walking around a museum on Monday, pushing our bugy which was laiden down with coats, picnic, bags and such, I said to Mr D that I may to continue to use it when Little D won't go near it. He's nearly two and pretty much walks every where now. To be fair, I have never been good at travelling light.
    Brettgirl- I'm not sure what you mean by pushing a buggy down steps? If you mean bumping it down then surely the front wheel would be off the ground? I love my three wheeled buggy but then I can't remember ever trying to get down any steps.
    I love shopping for baby gear.

12. You cant ever balance them on the front because they tip. Probably I am just trying to apply 4-wheeled techniques and there are other ways. I just know my friend had terrible probs with a set of steps we used to encounter.

13. nawoods

nawoods New commenter

We have the M&P Sola and so far very happy with it. My little boy is 8 weeks so we use the carry cot (which you do have to buy seperately). It is also compatible with the maxi cosi car seat so we use that quite a bit when popping into town. The chassi folds up easily to store and fits in my Seat Ibiza and my husbands Mondeo. I do a lot of town walking so it is ideal for that.
    We went for the Sola based on testing it out in the shop and also price. However it doesn't come with a footmuff - I didn't like the matching one anyway, so have got a Buggy Snuggle instead.

14. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

I have a Peg Perego Pilko Travel System and couldn't be happier. We got given it as a gift and it included the stroller-which lies completely flat so could be used from birth although I only just started using the stroller now LO is 5 months and has outgrown the carrycot; the carrycot-which lies completely flat, but can also be inclined and included a removable quilted cover and was used for walks everyday from 1-5 months; the carseat-clips into a base we leave in the car; a footmuff and removable snack tray for the stroller; and a raincover which fits when just using the stroller or when the carseat or carrycot are being used. The basket on the stroller is ample for a couple bags of shopping and I can fit more bags on the handles. The only thing I don't like is that the stroller is not parent facing. That's the only thing I'd change although after looking online I see that Peg Perego do make a similar model that switches from parent to forward facing. Another great thing is that to use the carrycot and carseat you simply have to recline the back of the stroller so it's flat and then pop them on top. Removal is just as easy. No need to purchase any adaptor bits or anything like that. Oh and the canopy for the stroller extends far enough to provide full coverage from the the sun so I don't need to buy a parasol! And when it's folded up the stroller fits easily in the boot of our Honda Insight.

15. Hello. I would like to buy this puschchair, please can you tell me if you are still happy with it? Many thanks! I mean Dino puschair, reaction is to the first comment...

16. Im a mum of three and the M&P's Sola has been the best pram by far. My LO is now 20 months and we still use it on cold or wet days. We also have the carrycot and used it with the Maxo Cosi car seat using the Aton adapters. You can even change the pram from a forward facing to parent facing with LO still sat in it.
    I wouldnt buy it from the main shop though. We bought it from a Mamas and Papas outlet store. I think the pram was £130 and the carrycot £70, the cosytoes and adapters were full price though. The sales woman did try to sell me their car seat though, telling me that you couldnt use the Maxi Cosi (the web says you can) but i found the M&P's car seats really heavy. We also bought the car seat base for the car which was really good, so quick and easy to put the car seat in the car when its raining.