1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prague

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by caslh, Mar 3, 2017.

1. caslh

caslh New commenter

It's not something I've considered until now - and it's thrown me! I have been looking for teaching positions in Spain - weekends on the beach etc.
    So, any top tips for Prague please? Need to make a decision quickly!
    Thanks in advance...

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I would take Prague in a heart beat over ANYWHERE in Spain. Awesome city with a huge amount of things to do. Also some good schools

caslh likes this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I have friends who left Prague to move elsewhere in Europe and are desperate to get back

caslh likes this.
  4. caslh

caslh New commenter

Thanks for your positivity! Will be moving the family - never lived so far from the coast, wasn't really considering city life and hadn't really thought it possible on a teachers salary.
    I'm used to doing my research and making an informed decision - one minute I'm thinking just go for it and the next minute think I'm going crazy!!

5. caslh

caslh New commenter

Good to know. Any to avoid?

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

First choice would be the large IB school there.

caslh likes this.
  7. karel

karel Occasional commenter

Prague is a very nice city. i agree with dumbbells. The IB schools has an excellent reputation, it's part of the association with which my school competes in sports and others tournaments, so our teachers and students have a lot of contact with each other. It's one of the few schools in Europe where a full package of accommodation, flights, medical etc is available and possible fir a family to manage on one teaching salary. Low staff turnover though, so not an easy school to get into.

caslh likes this.
  8. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

Prague over Spain any day!
    and if you want great beaches, come to SE Asia :)

caslh likes this.
  9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As regular readers of the hippo's ramblings on this TES forum will probably know, Praha is an old favourite of mine. (I got the push from a Czech girl, so I married a Russian instead.) I even took some of my students there and I have a photo of them on the Karlovy Most. (Well, it makes a change from yet another picture of my house in Bulgaria.)

pic11_small.jpg

Yes, it is an amazing and beautiful city, with oodles of history, everything from the Defenestration to Good King Wenceslas (who was not really a king and actually his name was Vaclav). The real issue here is accommodation, as apartments in Prague are blooming expensive. This is doubly the case if you want to live somewhere vaguely central, near a metro and / or nice. The beer is great, of course, the Czech wines are okay but stay away from the disgusting knedliky, those yucky, greasy dumplings that the Czechs love so much. As well as Prague itself, there are plenty of other places. Cesky Krumulov and the Tatra mountains are not too far away and Brno is worth a visit. It is flipping FREEZING in the winter, but there is some cheapish skiing.

This post is NOT sponsored by the Czech Tourist Board.

caslh likes this.
  10. caslh

caslh New commenter

Maybe one day! ;)

11. caslh

caslh New commenter

Great thanks so much! Are the knedliky similar to pierogies, I quite like those! You've confirmed my thoughts on accommodation though. I expect it will come down to finances - which is a shame as I'm not doing it for the money.

12. agcb256

agcb256 New commenter

Hi all,

Any up-to-date info on British schools in this area? I have seen an interesting vacancy in a COBIS and BSO school and would like to know what the students are like including attitude to learning, together with what a decent salary in Prague would be for a teacher living on their own with a regular lifestyle who wants to save, if possible, on the side.

Thanks in advance.

13. the hippo

It's really irritating when I am trying to have a serious discussion about food and then someone starts going on about COBIS and all of that nonsense. Could we please get our priorities right?

Knedliky
    are absolutely disgusting! It is a sort of sweaty and greasy suet pudding. I did scoff some great grub in the Czech Republic (and of course the beer is amazing). The wild boar sausages were fantastic, but the garlic soup was well, rather garlicky. But stay away from the knedliky. That is the most important thing you need to know. Oh yes and watch out if you go to Brno and visit the Church of the Capuchins. That is the church with the mummified monks in in the crypt. My friend got locked in and they turned off the lights!

Pierogies are quite similar to Chinese dumplings or Russian pelmeni. The best thing to do with Chinese dumplings (or pelmeni) is to boil them and then fry them in butter, so that the pastry goes crunchy and crispy. Great with a bottler of Tsingtao.

caslh and lottee1000 like this.
  14. agcb256

agcb256 New commenter

I am upset and confused as to why you found my questions on schools in a country I don't know, on a 'Teaching abroad' forum to be irritating. Maybe I have misunderstood the purpose of this platform.

I have always admired and respected your contributions from afar and had hoped someone with such a wealth of experience might see kindly to genuine requests for infromation from a serious international pedagogue.

I understand that chit chat about life abroad is also a valuable part of the role this forum can play for us but I don't see the need to reply to me in such a 'put-down' fashion.

Hmmm...very disappointing.

15. the hippo

Oh, please don't be offended, agcb256. A bit of light-hearted banter.

16. agcb256

agcb256 New commenter

Okay, thanks for the reply - I totally missed that was the way you intended it, easily done online to be fair.

YNWA1892 likes this.
  17. caslh

caslh New commenter

I was in Prague for 2 years, feel free to message me. I think you can have a great lifestyle but you won’t be saving much.

agcb256 likes this.
  18. the hippo

But stay away from the knedliky.