1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practice SATS- New to Year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrProudman, Jan 6, 2017.

1. MrProudman

MrProudman New commenter

Hi all, first time poster so hope I'm putting this in the correct place.

I start my new year 6 job on Monday, and I was wondering if there was any advice on how soon/when to do some practice papers. Some I have already spoken to have said the first week back so I have a baseline straight away. Others have said a few weeks into the term when the children are back into the school routine.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!

Ste

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would like to get some kind of baseline as soon as possible.

If it were me I'd use the first couple of lessons looking at some examples of questions and how to tackle them and then do some actual papers the next week. There really is no time to waste.

3. OLLIPUS

OLLIPUS New commenter

Soon as you can. The baseline will help you to plan for what you need to teach them and also will inform you so you don't waste time covering things they're confident with.
    An early baseline will also help you show the progress they've made with you further down the line. Good luck!

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Start now and do plenty more before May! Also, If you're going to being making any access arrangements (121 Readers, Pacers etc.) start practising with those specific adult/pupil combinations too. The adults invlolved need to know exactly what they're doing too and those relationships might need to be developed.

5. MrProudman

MrProudman New commenter

Thanks for the replies! Really helpful!
    Where is the best place to go for past papers?

Thanks again!

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Bear in mind that the older papers will not be like the new ones with the New Curriculum.
    However parts of the papers may be.

8. pumpkin07

pumpkin07 New commenter