1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practice or Practise

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Lozzy1981, Jun 7, 2007.

1. When referring to your placements are they teaching practice or teaching practise?? the meanings for both are so similar i get muddled!!!

Help!!!

2. When referring to your placements are they teaching practice or teaching practise?? the meanings for both are so similar i get muddled!!!

Help!!!

3. Practise is like when your practising something like a sport and Practice is like a doctors practice. So teaching would be practise like that.

Hope tht helps!

4. In British English, 'practice' (with an 'c') is the noun, whereas 'practise' (with an 's') is the verb.

5. your placement is a teaching practice because it is a thing you have to do (therefore a noun). on your teaching practice you practise your teaching (because it's a verb, a doing word).

confused? think advice (noun) and advivse (verb).

6. In US English, there is no -ce to denote a noun in words like licence and practice, so they have driver's license, teaching practise etc, whereas in British English we would write driving licence and teaching practice and use the -se form to indicate an action (verb).

7. I was taught to remember which was which with this saying:

'noun' you 'c' it, 'verb' you don't.

hope this helps!

8. Massive Geoff is spot on.

9. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

The useful reminder I find, is that Choirs Sing.

10. A great help. Thanks.

11. Whoops sorry!

12. I remember it as being the same way round as adice and advise.