1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practicalities of having ipads for school?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Loony tunes, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Hi, I teach in a special school and having recently had opportunity to play with an ipad have thrown myself into fundraising to get a few for school as I think they would be fab for some of our pupils. It has now occured to me that I need to consider some of the practicalities of an Ipad and am looking for help. Sorry to be thick but can I get away with just using wi-fi or will I need 3G. If so, does that mean that I need to have a contract with a phone company and is this going to cost me loads? How do you pay for downloading apps? Do you have an itunes account linked to the school credit card or how else do you do it? How can I ensure the children don't download apps themselves? Is there anything else I need to consider?
    Sorry if I sound a bit green. I don't have much apple experience and work in a small school where having a general interest in IT/being able to do more than just turn a computer on means you're practically IT coordinator! Thanks.

2. Hi,

You need to start this whole discussion off on a different footing by asking yourself why you need IPads in the first place.

You will notice that very few teachers on this site have an IPad and even fewer, if any, use them in school; I am an exception to this because I have more money than sense.

They are designed for the consumption of Internet products by IT passengers. They are currently incapable of being used for anything substantial, creative, compelling or worthwhile. Their physical and design limitations are complimented by the complete lack of availabilty of productivity software that could be described as anything other than laughable.

Do yourself and the kids a favour; buy some cheap laptops. The new AMD Fusion chipset which is due to arrive on the shelves soon is cheap and offers a compelling balance of good battery life and performance.

3. Hmm. I've seen them used very well to engage lower-ability pupils and this is where I think they have most use at the moment. There are quite a few good apps out there (mostly 89p) that you'll find useful - but obviously the most useful connector would be a Remote Desktop App over WIFI into a Terminal Server to access your current system. Put that in a classroom and you've now get a hellishly powerful learning tool.
    I see Johnbrown's point though, and am keeping a close eye on chinese exports. The aPad/uTopia/Cortex A8 clones are excellent at the moment except for the screens. When that's sorted, the £120 dual cores will be the tipping point!