1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical tips for seeing out children at home time, avoiding Mayhem!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JasonArganaut, Sep 12, 2019 at 5:59 PM.

1. JasonArganaut

JasonArganaut New commenter

I am an NQT and have a class of 32 and most of the time I am on my own with them, i.e. no support.
    I am able to manage their behaviour throughout the day, during lessons, etc and they will follow instructions and work well - but at home time when the parents come to pick them up from the class
    It becomes very chaotic! I have parents asking me questions, children out of their seats asking me questions, silly behaviour around the classroom and as I don't yet know all the parents it just makes it all the more stressful! Does anyone have any practical tips to make home time run more smoothly?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Are the parents coming into your classroom to collect the children? I trust not.

I had a routine of children lining up by the door, coats and bags on, with parents waiting outside.
    Only when they could point to a parent / childminder/ whoever coming to collect them, were they allowed out of teh door. Meant I got to know who picked them up and who their parents were after a couple of weeks too.

If a parent wanted to discuss anything, they knew they had to wait until the last child had left the classroom.

You are the teacher. You are in charge and you set the rules.

Hope that helps.

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Our policy was to Line the children up by the door, with all their stuff. We didn't let them go until the responsible adult was spotted on the playground. (ks1). The first newsletter of the year contained a paragraph saying that if parents wanted to talk to us at the end of the day, they would have to wait until 10 mins after release time. It worked well.

4. JasonArganaut

JasonArganaut New commenter

Thank you, I think if I was to line them all up they would be even worse! There isn't m enough room for a line of 32 children in my class. They already have everything ready, bags, coats etc, I just need a way of keeping them in their seats and relatively quiet. It's because my back is turned!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Have a double line around the edges of the classroom?
    Surely they line up for going out for break/ assembly/ lunch /PE etc. It's no different.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sit them on the carpet and put numberblocks or similar on the IWB for them to watch.
    When their parents come in you can have a quick chat and then call the child over. (Bags, etc can be on table seats for them to collect on the way to parents.)

We've swapped this year to having parents come in and collect children and it's working much better.

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I put something on the IWB (Topsy and Tim or Numberjacks). They sit in their seats until I call their name and they are not allowed to get up until then. Usually they are so engrossed and tired by the end of the school day they sit their like zombies and I end up calling them three times!

8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Gosh just saw the my typo in my last message, unforgivable! That’s what you get for having one eye on the TV while your phone is predictive texting for you!