1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical Teaching

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by nicolahooks87, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hi! I am a trainee primary school teacher and I really struggle to think of wacky, practical ideas. I really want to make more of my lessons physically active, especially Maths where it can sometimes be a bit dry. For example, has anybody got any ideas for a lesson based on measures (volume/capacity/mass) where the children can actively investigate something? Any help/websites/book ideas would be appreciated! Thanksssss

2. Could they investigate the link between capacity of water and mass - 1 litre of water has mass 1kg etc. Obviously you'd have to use metric units!

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

What year group / objectives?

4. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

How about something to do with different shaped containers having the same volume (or the same volume of water poured in to different shaped containers to see how high up it comes - maybe a competition to guess where it will come up to). Lots of water or sand play there!

You could also do something like the rocks/pebbles/marbles/sand thing - how much can you fit in a container (hint start with the rocks and you can get a LOT more in!) could lead to an interesting discussion about shapes and spaces.

5. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

There is a related story about Steve Jobs and the first iPod. He was shown a prototype and declared that it was too big and bulky. The engineers responded that there was no way to make it any smaller. Jobs, according to the story (possibly apocryphal?) dropped it into a fish tank and pointed out how much air escaped.

6. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I've seen it done where a large jar was as full as can be (rocks, then pebbles, then marbles then sand).... and then a pint of beer was poured in on top thus apparently proving there's always room for a beer....