1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical suggestions invited to combat bullying by HT or other senior staff

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by JohnRSS, Aug 11, 2011.

1. What I was trying to state was that of course bullying goes both ways, HT's can be bullied as well as any staff member within a school.
    HOWEVER, in my experience, it is the teacher that is mostly bullied by HT's or other higher senior management than the teachers bullying HT's and other senior management staff members.
    Simples.
    Please do not make any personal comments as regards my capability as a teacher.

2. I cannot make any comments regarding your capebility as a teacher as I do not know who you are. I was only repeating what you said.

3. So why am I "lucky" to be a great teacher.

4. A few possibles:
    Basic biology (right sperm, right time), good immune system, avoided accidents you knew nothing about, taught well, born with good/average intelect, chose correct college, first job in supportive school, interest in teaching, drive to be good, born in the west..........
    I could go on

5. Thank you thrupp.

6. thank you for smiling

7. Very true ..easy to call the support and challenge needed to improve the experience of the children in our care as bullying ...especially if folk have been coasting or less for sometime....
    change costs and as a group the staff support each other in feeling the costs / effect of change and this group becomes a force for the headteacher to manage. Vision sharing etc etc ...can not always take on a staff that are suddenly being assisted to do the job they are paid for.

More and more headteachers are being bullied out of their jobs or unfairly dismissed due to SIMPLY numbers, more staff moaning and the unions alongside ....one headteacher and their rep.
    Who do you think is going to lose their job????[​IMG]Mind you ...at least they are then released from the pride of having to continue being a HT ...the job must be a killer.

8. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

This is exactly what happened to me! I was dealing with a vocal under performing member of staff; they talked a lot. I was called the bully and now that's what I am in the eyes of my staff. It's very hard to take!

9. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I am genuinely interested in the last two posts on this forum, both because I was formerly a member of SLT and had to face challenging under-performance but also a victim of bullying in the form of malicious allegations by senior colleagues.
    In my opinion, it is possible to be a Head, or senior leader who is respected by the staff, even if not necessarily liked. With Headship comes the need to make difficult decisions which will not always be popular or understood by less-experienced staff. My understanding of the difference between robust leadership and bullying is that an effective leaders will always be seen to be fair and consistent. Will praise and acknowledge where practice is good but will consistently challenge under-performance, applying the same criteria to all. Staff may grumble but if they can see that X is being challenged, just as Y was before him, on the basis of similar evidence gathered of observation, progress, failure/unwillingness to respond to development opportunities etc. they should not feel 'bullied'.
    A simple rule-of-thumb, given to me by another and which always seems to apply is the 'walking on eggshells' test. If staff do not understand the criteria for good or unacceptable performance and if challenge is inconsistent and 'out-of-the-blue', so that they never feel safe and wonder when it will be their turn, it is probably fair to say they are being bullied.
    May I say, thumbs-up to you two for thinking about this? I would be more worried about those who do not...
    My two penn'orth - what do you think?