1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical science that links with geography?

Discussion in 'Science' started by rapink, Mar 2, 2012.

1. rapink

rapink New commenter

Hi, has anyone got any ideas for a science lesson that links with geography? I want something fairly hands on for a Yr 2 class. I'm guessing that senses/ materials/ living vs non living and natural vs non-natural are the topics most likely to fit, but any topics are suitable. It's for a one off lesson. Thanks

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

The water cycle? make rivers in sand tray, warm it with hair dryer and catch mist on cold shiny foil?

3. I have no idea what is on the primary syllabus, but you could do a river transport activity - run water down a bit of guttering or some other set-up with sand and gravel of various sizes in it - and see how far various size bits of crud get if you run the water faster or slower. You can also do a similar wind erosion activity with a desk fan, either blowing on sediments or pouring them in front of the fan and seeing how far different size particles get - they could even stick examples in their books from various distances.
    There's also, of course, volcanoes - could get them to make volcanoes and use sodium bicarb and vinegar (and a bit of red food colouring?) to set them off.
    Only other overlap to the science I'm used to would be rocks - things like using plasticine in layers and smooshing it up to make different types of rock, then starting again.

4. rapink

rapink New commenter

Thanks for replies x