1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical Maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by naomicope, Feb 10, 2011.

1. I have an interview coming up soon and they have asked for a 30 minute practical maths lesson. I am a little confused exactly what they mean. Please could someone give me an idea of the sort of thing.
    Thanks

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Are you in EYs?
    I can see why you're confused. It's the word lesson. Ask them what they mean.

3. I'm in Primary - interview lesson is with Year 5.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry -thanks for clarifying.

5. forestje

forestje New commenter

How about tangrams?

6. On my last placement, Practical Maths was Handling Data, and Shape Space and Measure. Then 'Maths' was just number and calculation type work.
    JSY x

7. Thanks, that has helped make things clearer. :)

8. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I'd be thinking along the lines of a using and applying activity, and something that would cater for kinasthetic learners. Good luck.

9. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Kinaesthetic.

10. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Perhaps they would like to see how well you can teach using practical equipment, and this could well still be a number topic.
    If you are at all unsure I think you MUST ring the school beforehand - better to clarify now than to deliver a lesson that they didn't want!

11. Practical means "doing". They want you to get the kids moving and using equipment. I would try and do something on a large scale, that is very kinaesthetic.
    As someone above also said, try and include some "using and applying" - a puzzle, or problem - as this is the strand of maths that most often gets forgotten and they will be impressed to see it as an integral part of your lesson.