1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

practical maths ideas.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by merlymoo, Apr 7, 2011.

1. No I think its another good one, but I might save that until a bit nearer the time otherwise I'll have to listen to "Miss how long is it till sports day?"

2. We did area and perimeter in the playground and field. We took trundle wheels and metre rules outside. We also did compass points and made our own chalk trails in the playground. Traffic surveys for data handling are also fun!

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

What about getting them to do some calculations based around aforementioned wedding?

If the guests sit, 6 to a pew, in two banks of 20 pews, how many guests are there?

If they order limos for the reception, and each limo can take 8 guests, how many limos do they need?

If the dress costs £40 per square metre, and costs £600 altogether (I know, I know), how many square metres of fabric were used?

If the caterers order half a bottle of wine and 4 new potatoes per person, how many bottles of wine an potatoes will they order?

If the - oh, you get the idea!

4. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Linking on to what Andrew has written you could get the children to do a seating plan
    eg a rectangle table can sit 2 people on each length and one each width, so 6 people altogether (hope you can visualise what I mean)
    However if you put 2 tables together you will have 4 on each length and 1 on each width so 2 tables = 10 people.
    This could raisr some discussion. How many people could sit on 4 tables together etc
    Then you can lead this on to the wedding seating plan
    eg there are 100 people at the reception. How can I arrange the tables so that everyone gets a seat.
    Whats the maximum number of tables I could use?
    What's the minimum amount of tables I could use? etc