1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical ideas for finding the area of compound shapes?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Harriet_20, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!

I just wanted to know if anyone has any tried and tested methods for teaching the area of compound shapes that are practical? I am teaching a low ability y5 group and have been given some Geo-Boards(?) to use. For this group, they are struggling a little with the concept of how to find the missing side, not fully understanding that if it were a rectangle the opposite sides would be the same length and all they have to do is find the difference.

Hope that makes sense?!

Any ideas fully appreciated!

2. As a caveat before my post proper, I'm an LSA in Y3, starting my PGCE next year. So take everything I say with a generous helping of salt ^_^
    Anyway, have you thought about using tangrams? Letting them build up some complex "pictures" out of simpler shapes themselves might be a good way of helping them understand how they can use the same process backwards.
    Once they've got that, you could give them a template tangram, and the shapes to build it, letting them figure out how the shapes can fit a preexisting "picture". Then start introducing the numerical element.
    (When any more experienced teachers pop into the thread, I'd appreciate a little feedback, if I may be so bold).