1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical hints and tips for PGCE students

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lookingfornemo, Oct 17, 2011.

1. I've been asked to talk to our 5 PGCE students on Thursday about the practical classroom. Apart from the usual - board pens+clothes, extra pens, pencils, rubber, sharpener, lesson plans+ resources, what else can I tell them? I think I have about 45 minutes! Any one have any suggestions?

2. If you're secondary:
    Planning and organisation in order to stay sane/not get gradually bogged under with paperwork..
    Keeping records of attainment, and also keeping records of slipping grades? (Monitoring and tracking)

3. Time management. Keep every scrap of evidence. Don't try to be best friends with pupils. Don't give away personal information to pupils. Don't go to their facebook pages.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

More for NQTs I think, but I received this advice during my PGCE year:

Never throw away glue lids.

In 11 years in teaching I have never knowingly thrown away a glue lid, yet I only have 2 spares...

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Bring your own coffee mug and supplies

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Train children to tidy the classroom.
    Have monitors for books, pencils, whiteboards, etc.
    Never waste your own time handing out /collecting exercise books when you have a Child Slave to do it for you.
    Never wash a paint brush.
    Never stick anything in a child's book, they are quite capable of sticking in their own work.
    Never pick anything up from the floor. Children are nearer the floor than you are.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Never go to bed without knowing exactly what you're doing the next day or you'll never sleep again.

8. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

No matter what you lesson plan says, always be ready for the child who says they have finished everything (or at least have the mental agility to come up with something!).

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

<ol>[*]Set a limit and stick to it. ie no school work after 8.30 regardless of what still needs to be done.[*]Have a life outside of school work.[*]Set 1 day of the weekend for you[*]Remember other people aren't all that interested in your new job! Make sure you have more to talk about that 'what little Johny did'</ol>

10. Do as much observation as you can and remember you're looking at how the teacher does things NOT just getting involved in the lesson!

11. 1. If i was an NQT again i would (with the kids permission) take a photo of every group i teach as it would be brilliant to have this to look back on!
    2. Always TINY L (Teaching Is Not Your Life)
    3. Choose your role models carefully.
    4. Make friends with the caretaker, receptionist and librarian first.
    5. Be yourself.

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

and dinner lady.

13. Don't judge the teacher you are observing until you are a fully qualified teacher with a full timetable yourself. Do not give your mentor advice on how to improve their lessons before you've even taught one lesson [​IMG]
    When your mentor says jump, make sure you say how high.
    I have to say, some of the students I've seen in the past few years have been far too arrogant for their own (and the kids') good.

14. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

and the photocopier person!

15. 1. Have equipment in racks. Count everything back in.
    2. Clearing up early is no problem if it takes less time than you thought, just keep them busy with AFL questons until time to go.
    3. Always leave the room tidy especially if sharing rooms. Chairs under tables, litter picked up. white board clean etc.
    ( As much as you want to help every child who has a question, sometimes it better to ask them see you at the end of a lesson or in 10 minutes when you do have time for them.
    Give students lots of guidance on practical matters. E.g. Show them the page you want them to use in their books otherwise they will do it more ways than you thought possible!
    Say everything three times (in different ways !) so that everyone hears and there is more chance of information getting into long term memory. )
    Was this the sort of thing you wanted ?

16. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

Remember if you are good at it, it will be the easiest job you have ever had, if you are poor, the clock will say 9.00am and 6 hours later it will say 9.05am.

17. thank you all so much. These are great!

18. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

start those standard folders ASAP!

nothing worse than the week before they are re due in drowning in papers trying to find evidence you have done something!

19. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

[​IMG]
    The occasional funny story isn't too bad but don't get carried away.
    <ol>[*]A lot of people have a hard job so they don't need to know the ins and outs of yours![*]Don't post anything work related on Facebook and check your privacy settings are as tight as possible!</ol>

20. I absolutely second this.
    At the end of my first of four years, my tutor advised me to start my standard folder and just add to it as I went along. I did just this and had no problems when it was due in as everything was already done. Meanwhile, the rest of my cohort were in a flap trying to find everything on time.