1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical Books

Discussion in 'Science' started by mickymilan, May 22, 2011.

1. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

Hi all, can anyone recommend a comprehensive book of science practicals?

2. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

This recommendation for books is very out-of-date, but I think the principle remains. Even now, however, it would be a good starting point for teachers who want to make every lesson a practical lesson, which should be every science teacher. An imaginative teacher would adapt the books to their own circumstances and up-to-date syllabi.

The original Nuffield grammar school schemes were written for Y7 to Y11 for the separate sciences, physics, chemistry and biology. I used them successfully for 15 years in a private preparatory school, 1975 to 1990, for Y7 to Y9, with full equipment and technician support. I was timetabled with three double lessons per week (80 minutes), one for each of the three sciences from Y7.

My lesson plans were therefore laid out for me for the whole of each year. Page by page I worked my way through the books, every lesson was a class practical, circus or demonstration, and as the years went by I simply introduced my own modifications (of course!), but still kept to the same scheme of work and order of presentation. I was not seriously confused by the introduction of the NC in the state-maintained schools, and even advocated its implementation (the first government draft, with its - how many!? - ATs) into the private sector.

I wonder if present teachers agree that this is how we should teach science with a suitable latest scheme?

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Need to know what age range, abilty spread. I'm not aware of any currently produced texts with just practicals - apart from A level support texts.
    I make it a rule never to throw away copies of books with practical details. I even have a copy of MT2's much loved Nuffield Chemistry O level books, as well as several Vogels. (That will date those of you who know who Vogel was).
    However, the aims of the current curriculum are not always best fulfilled by practical work. I have a healthy scepticism of published schemes that claim to do everything for you
    P

4. bio/chem/phys for you are ok... but there are websites practical physics and practical biology that might be of use?

5. Depends on the level (primary, KS3, KS4, KS5) and subject you are teaching.
    'School Physics Experiments' published by the ASE has been useful in the past, up to GCSE. It includes sample data and plotted graphs - so you can see what you should be getting. There is more than you need in some instances - and you will probably also find gaps that you would like filled. ISBN 0 86357 401.
    For Chemistry the RSC (Royal Society of Chemists?) publish something useful - I have not used it for a while but it has clear diagrams & lists of ingredients.
    Biology - don't know.
    In any event, the syllabuses change every few years so most practical books would be out of date very quickly!

6. For chemistry - Classic chemistry Experiments and Classic Chemistry Demonstrations both published by the RSC

7. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

thanks for replies. As an NQT I will be teaching mainly KS3 and Year 10 AQA Products from rocks and oils earth and atmosphere. The KS3 scheme is Go Science which I find awful.

8. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter