1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical advise for very poor Year 1 pupils

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 341796, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hi. I was wondering if any one had any advice. I have started in my first Year 1 class in September and I am struggling with several very poor ability children still working on FSP2. I feel I am struggling to push them up and that they are falling further behind.
    What should I be focusing on with them?
    Having never been Ealry years trained and only being in my second year i was hoping some one might be able to give me some parctical advice to help support the lowers in my class as well as challenging my more able.
    Any advice or experiences would be great!

2. Hi. I was wondering if any one had any advice. I have started in my first Year 1 class in September and I am struggling with several very poor ability children still working on FSP2. I feel I am struggling to push them up and that they are falling further behind.
    What should I be focusing on with them?
    Having never been Ealry years trained and only being in my second year i was hoping some one might be able to give me some parctical advice to help support the lowers in my class as well as challenging my more able.
    Any advice or experiences would be great!

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Wow, that is low, surely at that level the SENCO or someone should be picking them up for intervention work?
    I'm about to start in a Y1 class, there is one girl who's on about FSP4 for each area of English and not much better in maths. She reads with the TA every single day, and is about to start SALT. She does have a bit of a S&L problem too so perhaps that's why she gets extra help. The TA also takes out a group of about 4 each day for a phonics intervention.
    If you're finding your phonics is just far, far too hard for your lowest abilities (which assuming you're on phase 5, it will be), could your TA take out these children and go back to basics with them? This is all assuming you have have a TA of course.
    I'm not early years trained either and struggled to make sense of all those profiles and levels etc. I'm just going to have to ask for lots of help I think!

4. Luckily I do have an amazing TA who does phonic support and does interventions with them and they are starting to get it but still their writing is emergent really and not sure how to move them on from there. The eyfs teachers are very supportive but I still feel there is more I can do. Thanks for the reply back always nice to know other people encounter similar problems

5. I don't wish to be at all patronising, and it is probably just a typo, but every time I notice your thread it stands out.
    advise = verb "Will you please advise me?"
    advice = noun "Can I have some advice please?"
    my way of remembering is that "ice" is usually used as a noun.

Sorry for being a pedant

SP

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You need to speak to your SENCO these children are about two years behind

7. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

How many is several? What areas are they FSP2? I'd be asking what the he// was going on in the Nursery and Reception classes for several children not to have achieved. Do they have special needs? Get the SENCO to have speech and language come in, ed. psych to attend.

I assume you plan for them from the Early Years Curriculum. Focus on Number work, Phonics, Fine Motor.

This may be controversial, but I think a lot of credit is given to emergent writing, when it's rubbish. It's fine for a 2 or 3 year old. However, by age five no! If I still have emergent writers in year 1, I tell them you are just writing scribbles. I cannot read scribbles. I say we must write letters (they are aware of what letters are). To be honest they all stopped doing it and began writing. I'm not saying the next day, but within the week they would begin writing the familiar letters, soon small words and eventually sentences.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If they are on FSP2 they aren't capable of emmergent writing

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Do you think there is some confusion over what the OP means by FSP2. It's unlikely isn't it that there are several children in year 1 on point 2 of the profile points right across the board? That would be incredibly low wouldn't it?

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I suspect she means FS2 i.e. Reception.

11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Can you give us some examples of what the children are currently achieving in their literacy and maths, and what you are already doing to support them?