1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical advice on how to teach FS1 to Yr2 in the same class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Carrots, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Carrots

Carrots New commenter

Hello to all!

I am new to the forum and will be new to teaching a mixed class of children from nursery to year 2 in September. I am looking for practical advice, suggestions on how to marry two diverse curricula together to create a 'seamless' one if possible. There will only be a class teacher, so any ideas on how to increase independent learning for all year groups to thrive and succeed would be gratefully appreciated!

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

What are your numbers in each year group? You need to look at EYFS statutory framework as you may not be meeting statutory ratios. Presuming you are in a small school there is no way you can meet the needs of theses children without a TA. What happens if a nursery child soils them self? Or they want to do something with you? What happens when you need to teach ks1 something tricky that they need to concentrate on? Or reception are screaming around being firemen?

I'm not trying to be difficult as I teach the same mix in my class. How will you cater for the diverse needs of y2 who need to work in quiet spaces sometimes and EYFS need to be outside beyond the 20 min playtime ks1 are likely to get?

How do you feel about this? And what kind of school are you in? If it's continuous provision throughout it may be more manageable.

Not trying to come across as negative but just concerned.